Display giphy
by Natalie Day

10 Restaurant-Worthy Meals You Can Make in a Coffee Pot

By Natalie Day - May 21 2016

One of the most frustrating things about college will probably be sitting in your twelve by twelve cement cube not wanting to eat at the dining hall again. You don’t have the money to go out to eat and find yourself drooling at the thought of your grandma’s fried chicken. Everyone says that stomaching mashed potato Thursday for the sixteenth Thursday in a row is just part of the college experience, but it doesn’t have to be! If you have access to a simple one-burner coffee pot, the possibilities of home-cooked meals are endless.

1. Coffee Pot Pancakes

What better way to kick off your Sunday morning than with pancakes? Cookingwithyourcoffeemaker.com shows you how to make warm and fluffy pancakes using just the burner of your coffee pot. You can even make a warm blueberry sauce as an alternative to syrup. Find the recipe here.

2. Oatmeal

While sometimes thought as the gross breakfast food, oatmeal is a very healthy breakfast option. Fill the reservoir of your coffee maker with water and place a bowl of oats on the burner in place of the glass pot. Let water fill the bowl until your desired amount and cover with a lid. Stir occasionally until your oatmeal reaches your desired thickness. Add brown sugar, nuts, or fruit for a delicious, healthy breakfast.

Watch Alton Brown's take on coffee pot oatmeal:

3. Spring Rolls

For a little variety in your lunch or dinner, try this asian-fusion recipe for coffee pot spring rolls. While a little time intensive, these rolls can be made your own by trying different fillings.

4. Vegetable Noodle Soup

For some vegetarian-friendly comfort food, start by gathering some veggies of your choice and dicing them. Carrots, celery, and onion are good options. Add these, the pasta of your choice, and vegetable broth base or bouillon to your coffee pot. Brew the water and cover the pot. Let it sit until the vegetables and pasta reach your desired tenderness and enjoy!

5. Ramen

For a college dorm take on traditional Japanese ramen, you’ll have to start by boiling eggs. Start by putting a few room-temperature eggs into your coffee pot. While you’ll only need one for your ramen, these can save for a few days in your mini fridge. Fill the reservoir with enough water to cover the eggs and brew the water. Let the eggs stay on the warm burner for 7-8 minutes for a soft boiled egg or 8-10 minutes for a hard boiled egg.. After this, transfer the eggs into a bowl and fill it with cold water. Let these sit while you cook the rest of your ramen.

Empty the coffee pot and fill it with pasta from a flavored ramen pack and other desired toppings. I would suggest bamboo shoots, kelp, or mushrooms. Pour in the flavor packet. Brew the water and cover the pot. Let this cook until the pasta and toppings reach your desired tenderness. Pour into a bowl and garnish with chopped green onion and the boiled egg, cut in half. Enjoy!

6. Egg Salad

You can also use your coffee pot to make some egg salad. If you use the same egg boiling technique as described in number 5, ramen, you can easily make egg salad. Just make sure you let the eggs cook for 8-10 minutes. For one serving of egg salad, chop two boiled eggs and put them in a bowl. Add two tablespoons of mayonnaise and ¼ teaspoon of yellow mustard. Stir and season with salt, pepper, and paprika. Enjoy your egg salad on its own or spread it between bread as a sandwich!

7. Lemon Pepper Chicken

For a more substantial meal, follow this recipe for chicken in a coffee pot. You can substitute rice for an alternative to couscous.

8. Grilled Cheese

A grilled cheese in your dorm is easier than you may think. All you need is some bread, cheese, and butter! Butter one side of two pieces of bread and place cheese in between, butter side out. You can also add sliced lunch meat or vegetables for a new twist on your grilled cheese. Turn on your coffee pot burner and grill the sandwich on each side until golden brown. You can warm up some canned tomato soup in your coffee pot to dip your sandwich in.

Watch Buzzfeed make a grilled cheese on a coffee pot burner, as well as some other meals!

9. Poached Salmon, Couscous, and Steamed Vegetables

If you really want to impress your friends, make this recipe for poached salmon, couscous, and steamed vegetables. They may never know it was made with only your coffee pot.

10. Apples à La Mode

For those with a sweet tooth, apples à la mode is an easy dessert to enjoy in your dorm. Follow this recipe and you’re just a few minutes away from a sweet treat.

Lead Image Credit: GIPHY

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.