Display homme
by Natalee Gustin

7 Little Luxuries About Going Home For The First Time

By Natalee Gustin - Nov 15 2015

While you may have finally gotten settled into your new life at college, there’s still that special place that holds your heart: home. At this point in the semester we are starting to forget about the luxuries of home that we never realized were luxuries -- dorm life has become the norm, but when you take that first trip back home, you notice the special little things that you miss about being in an actual house.

1. Non-Dorm Showers

Scampering to the dorm showers in your towel and flip-flops has become part of your daily routine, but at home, you don’t have to carry around your caddy of shampoo and conditioner through the halls. Another plus of your own bathroom is that you don’t have to sprint back to your room in order to avoid running into the cute boy down the hall while you have mascara dripping down your face. So when you’re home, take a leisurely shower and enjoy the hot water and awesome water pressure.

www.tumblr.com

2. Sleeping in a Real Human-Sized Bed

You’ve gotten used to cramming into your lofted twin bed, but nothing feels better than a night in your own bed at home. You don’t have to worry about rolling off the bed and falling to your certain death and there’s plenty of space to sprawl yourself out and be a bed hog. Plus, your mornings don’t include groggily tripping down the ladder down to the floor.

www.tumblr.com

3. Reuniting With Your Pet

By now, your pet definitely thinks you’ve abandoned him/her forever. But when you finally come home to see them, they can’t contain their excitement to see you. They’ll stick by your side from the moment you walk in the door until you leave, and of course, you’ll be happy to have dog hair on all of your clothes again.

www.buzzfeed.com

4. Peace and Quiet

You love your roommate and the people who live near you, but with everyone rushing around at different schedules, you’ve forgotten what it’s like to be in complete silence. There is a certain amount of comfort that comes with the peace and quiet of not being with hundreds of people at all times.

www.teendotcom.tumblr.com

5. Home-Cooked Meals

Your first trip home means a much needed break from dining hall food. Being the nurturing mother she is, your mom stuffs all of the vegetables, protein, and comfort food into your stomach before you head back to school, leaving you nourished and ready to face the monotony of the dining halls once again.

6. Quality Family Time

Although it may not have been your favorite thing when you lived at home, now that you’ve been away family time is the best time. Whether it’s family dinners, movie nights, road trips, or just running errands around town, it feels great to spend time with the people who know you best. 

disneypixar.tumblr.com

7. Nostalgia

Even though you haven't been gone long, it's easy to forget about the little things that you love about home. Driving down your street and stepping into your house is bound to cause some déjá vu. There are so many pieces of you left at home, and it is wonderful for those feelings and memories to flood back. There really is no place like home.

www.giphy.com

Lead Image Credit: Terrah Coon

Natalee Gustin - University of Minnesota Twin Cities