Display fe da 20130304 university of minnesota
by Natalee Gustin

9 Things that Happen When Your University is the Size of a Small City

By Natalee Gustin - Feb 17 2016

1. You see countless different people every day.

In a school packed with over 50,000 students, it’s almost hard to process the ocean of faces you see throughout the day. People are always rushing past and milling around, and because of that, (heartbreakingly) the chances of ever seeing the same cute boy you passed on your way to class again are slim to none.

2. ...But, it’s really exciting when you actually see someone you know.

3. You're always wearing your walking shoes.

According to the Health app on my phone, I walk 6 miles on average every day. That means trudging through snow and slush, up and down hills, and countless back and forths on sidewalks. Unfortunately, I’ve come to the point in my life where I have to sacrifice fashion for comfort, and my feet have definitely thanked me for ditching the unnecessary blisters.

4. You have to plan what you need for the whole day.

Campus is monstrously huge, which means you hope and pray that you don’t forget anything you need for your day. Heading back to your dorm would mean a long trek where you bitterly curse under your breath, so you learn to mentally check everything on your list of before you leave home.

5. Public transportation becomes your one true love.

Again, when your campus is basically the size of an actual city, you sometimes need a break from walking. Buses and trains are awesome resources to save some energy and get you where you need to be faster -- as long as you know the route perfectly and don’t fall asleep and miss your stop.

6. You feel like you've shrunken down to a speck of dust.

With the chaotic, ever-changing, fast-paced world around you, it’s pretty easy to see exactly how small you are. Yes, you have your group of friends and daily routine, but the world is a great, big place and your university is just one miniscule part of it, dwarfing you even more. While it sounds intimidating, it isn’t always a bad thing; going to a huge school allows for an interesting perspective and makes you understand the incredible amount of simultaneity in the world.

7. There's always something to do. 

Living in a big city means a wide array of activities, new things to see, places to explore, interesting restaurants to try and events going on all the time. Sometimes, it can be hard to not let the fresh, exciting things take away from the real reason you’re here -- school.

8. Diversity is everywhere.

A big university draws in people from across the country and even internationally. This allows for an incredible environment with plenty of opportunities to meet people from all different cultures, backgrounds, and ways of life.

9. You feel a desperate urge to try out every tiny coffee shop you see.

But then you remember you're a broke college student.

Lead image credit: University of Minnesota Twin-Cities

Natalee Gustin - University of Minnesota Twin Cities