Display stocksnap it82719ce5
by Naomi Vann

8 Brands and Products for Maintaining Curly Hair in College

By Naomi Vann - Sep 03 2017

Guys, gals, whoever you may be and whatever your hair texture may be, we've all experienced some kind of trouble with our beautifully wild and unique strands. Despite all the troubles our crowns give us curly kids, there is no better feeling than having a shiny, bouncy and more than anything healthy head of curls to show off.

With the recent surge in hair products geared towards textured tresses, it can be difficult to navigate stores and decide which products best fit your needs and especially your budget. While there is a plethora of options at more luxurious stores such as Aveda, Sephora or Ulta, as a college kid on a budget, I'm sure you would rather spend $8 on a clay face mask than $34 for a curl cream. So here are 8 brands you can find at a drug store or Target, along with some highly rated products that will help you control your mane.

*This article features online prices only.

1. Shea Moisture

Shea Moisture was founded in 1991 by Nyema Tubman and Richelieu Dennis. It is the "legacy," as said on the Shea Moisture website, of Dennis' grandmother, Sofi Tucker, who sold hair and skin products such as shea butter and African black soap in Sierra Leone. The company was founded for natural and textured hair and has many natural lines and products to offer consumers. Read more here.

Products at a glance:

Coconut & Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk ($10.99 Shea Moisture | $9.69 Target)

Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie ($12.99 Shea Moisture | $11.99 Target)

SuperFruit Complex 10-in-1 Renewal System Hair Masque ($12.99 Shea Moisture | $13.49 Target)

Browse all their collections and other products here.

2. Devacurl

Devacurl products are the creation of founder Lorraine Massey. Devacurl launched their first product, the famous no-poo cleanser in 2002, and the rest is history. Devacurl trains many stylists to give the game changing Devacut – a dry cut to shape and enhance curls. The company also features three lines: wavy, curly and super curly, so you are bound to find products that work for you. Despite this brand being more high-end, their products can be found at certain drug stores such as CVS and Bed Bath and Beyond. As someone who uses Devacurl regularly, I highly recommend trying their products. Read the full story here.

Products at a glance:

Ultra Defining Gel ($22 Devacurl | $19.99 CVS)

Supercream Coconut Curl Styler ($28 Devacurl)

No-Poo Original ($10 Devacurl | $18.99 Target)

For more products click here.

3. Miss Jessie's

Miss Jessie's is a company based in New York and founded by sisters Miko and Titi Branch. Like many of the brands in this list, the products stemmed from the lack of curly, coily specific products already on the market. They have many products perfect for different textures, and even have a salon in New York. Read their full story here.

Products at a glance:

Pillow Soft Curls ($22 Miss Jessie's | $14.59 Target)

MultiCultural Curls ($16 Miss Jessie's | $15.59 Target)

Coily Custard ($14 Miss Jessie's | $13.99 Target)

Take a look at "The best darn curly products period!" here.

4. Curly Hair Solutions

Jonathon Torch is the brain behind Curly Hair Solutions. He has a unique focus on pH levels for his products, and they all are balanced to maintain a healthy pH of hair. The company has grown a large following over their Curl Keeper original gel and their H20 spray bottle, which means no more trigger finger. Although their products can be hard to find, they are available at select Targets or Bed Bath and Beyonds. To be sure, use the store locator on the website! Read more about Torch here.

Products at a glance:

Curl Keeper Original ($17.50)

Curl Keeper Slip ($9.99)

Curl Keeper Styling Cream ($19)

More products here.

5. Mixed Chicks

Mixed Chicks was founded by friends Wendi Levy and Kim Etheredge. They created their line after meeting and discussing one thing they had in common: the struggle to find hair products that worked for their multicultural curls. Since then, Mixed Chicks has become a widely recognized brand in the natural hair community and their products are definitely worth trying. Read more here.

Products at a glance:

Leave-In Conditioner ($16.99 Mixed Chicks| $17.49 Target)

Morning After Redefining Foam ($14.99 Mixed Chicks | $14.99 Target)

Detangling Deep Conditioner ($10.99 Mixed Chicks | $13.79 Target)

Look for more here.

6. Alikay Naturals

Perfect for tightly coiled hair, Alikay was developed by then-college student, Rochelle Alikay Graham-Campbell. With no mineral oil, alcohol, sulfates, silicones or parabens, Alikay is a delightfully natural hair brand that produces high-quality products. Read more here.

Products at a glance:

Lemon Grass Leave-In Conditioner ($12.99 Alikay | $12.99 Target)

Honey and Sage Deep Conditioner ($15.99 Alikay | $14.99 Target)

Moisturizing Black Soap Shampoo ($11.99 Alikay | $11.99 Target)

More products here.

7. Camille Rose

After only five years, founder Janelle Stephens has made Camille Rose a brand to know. Stephens dedicates herself to deliver high quality, safe and natural products for her customers, and has expanded her brand to include not only hair care for luscious tresses but also natural products to nourish the body. Read more here.

Products at a glance:

Sweet Ginger Cleansing Rinse ($11 Camille Rose |$10.79 Target)

Algae Renew Deep Conditioner ($20 Camille Rose | $17.99 Target)

Curl Maker ($22 Camille Rose | $19.80 Target)

Look for more here.

8. Curls

A leader in the natural hair care industry, CURLS was founded by Mahisha Dellinger. She wanted to create a line for the curly hair community and with her background in chemistry, she made her dream into a reality. Today, CURLS continues to cater to multiple textures with the majority of their products having a five star rating on their website.

Products at a glance:

Goddess Curls Botanical Gel ($10.99 Curls | $7.19 Target)

Blueberry Bliss Control Paste ($12 Curls | $8.09 Target)

Creme Brule Whipped Curl Cream ($10.99 Curls | $8.99 Target)

More products to be found here!

Hopefully this list helped to find some new go to brands and products. In case you didn't quite find what you were looking for, some other great brands to check out are Carol's Daughter, Cantu and As I Am. Get ready to flaunt some healthy hair! Happy shopping!

Naomi Vann - University of California, Los Angeles

Naomi Vann is a freshman at UCLA. She is pursuing a double major in communication studies and Japanese as well as a minor in theatre. She aspires to work in the entertainment industry and loves to spontaneously break out into song and dance and embarrass her friends. She is an advocate for self love and has begun her journey to embrace her curly salt n' pepper locks.