by Naomi Vann

5 Reasons Why It's OK to Go to College Without High School Friends

By Naomi Vann - Jul 25 2017

Ah, high school. A place for academic victories and social growth. Despite the occasional awkward please-don't-look-at-me moments, it is more than likely the case that in those four short years, you will have found your "squad," formed strong bonds with friends and created memories that will last a lifetime. While graduating and going off to a different school than your friends may seem like embarking on a mission without any backup, no worries — you're going to be just fine.

Here's why going to college without your high school friends is really a good thing.

1.  Start the year off with a blank slate.

The start of something new...

Being without your friends in a new environment will let you recreate yourself and simply allow you to get a refreshing start to the school year. Take this opportunity to step out of your comfort zone, do things you've always wanted to do but never did in high school and most importantly, promise yourself to stay on top of school work.

2. Leave the drama behind.

That's right! You won't have to listen to old high school drama that you probably got enough of and probably don't care about anymore. It's time to move on and leave the pettiness in the past. 

3. Meet new people.

Branch out and meet new people without feeling like you have to hang out with your high school buddies all the time. Introduce yourself with confidence and be unapologetically you. It's your time to focus on yourself and find a new group of people that make you happy and accept you for you.

4. Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

Cheesy, yes, but it's true. Being apart can help you and your friends cherish the years you had together and look forward to the next time you see each other.

5. You will find your squad.

Transitioning from high school to college means you will encounter a lot more people with different backgrounds than you did in high school. Trying to find people that could become close friends may seem daunting, but you will find your squad. Even if you don't at first, it's fine. Change groups — there's nothing wrong with that. 

While leaving for college without your friends can certainly be a sad and nerve-wracking experience, the majority of incoming freshmen are going through the same thing. If you look on the bright side of going to college without high school friends, you are sure to be more open with new classmates and you will eventually find yourself amongst lifelong friends.

Naomi Vann - University of California, Los Angeles

Naomi Vann is a freshman at UCLA. She is pursuing a double major in communication studies and Japanese as well as a minor in theatre. She aspires to work in the entertainment industry and loves to spontaneously break out into song and dance and embarrass her friends. She is an advocate for self love and has begun her journey to embrace her curly salt n' pepper locks.