by Nancy Canevari

The End of Freshman Year Survival Guide

By Nancy Canevari - Apr 07 2017

As freshman year draws to a close, life can begin to get even more stressful; on top of finals and homework, you’re also worrying about summer plans and what you’re going to do in the fall semester. Having a list of things to keep in mind as you go through these last few weeks of freshman year will make the process much less stressful, so Fresh U has provided you with a survival guide for the end of freshman year.

1. Write down everything you need to do.

Make a list of everything you need to get done in the coming weeks. Include academic obligations like papers that need to be written and exams that need to be studied for, but also include additional things like meetings, social events and applications. It may seem overwhelming at first, but knowing everything that you have to get done will help you stay on top of your responsibilities in the long run.

2. Make a schedule.

It’s easy to say that you’ll get work done over the weekend, but unless you outline what you’re going to do on specific days, you may forget about certain assignments or underestimate the amount of work you need to do. Write out what you’re going to do on specific days and be realistic about how much time each assignment is going to take.

3. Factor in breaks.

If you don’t let yourself have time to rest, you’re going to burn out completely. Schedule in short breaks to watch Netflix, see your friends or take a nap to give yourself some time to recharge when your schedule gets the busiest.

4. Keep snacks in your bag just in case.

There will likely be days when you don’t have time to make it to meals. Keep a few snacks in your backpack so that you stay energized while studying. Pack multiple snacks in case you happen to eat one and forget to refill your stash.

5. Keep a water bottle with you at all times and mark it.

Staying hydrated is one of the best ways to stay alert and focused. Mark timestamps on your water bottle to indicate when you should have drank a certain amount so that you’re not carrying around a full water bottle the entire day.

6. Double-check everything.

Financial aid deadlines? Exam requirements? Double check every single deadline and task you have to complete, just to be safe. It’s so easy to misread something if you’re scanning it quickly, and missing a date can have really significant consequences.

7. Figure out your summer plans.

Regardless of what you’re going to be doing this summer, make sure you’ve started to figure that out before the end of the semester. Otherwise, you’re going to be overwhelmed going into finals week and the beginning of summer with no idea what your schedule is going to be.

8. Remind your friends and family that you love and appreciate them.

When life gets especially stressful, it’s easy to forget about maintaining relationships with your loved ones. Make sure to take the time to tell them that you love and appreciate them because emotional support will help you get through the difficulties of the last few weeks of the school year.

9. Take naps.

You’re going to have nights when you’ll only get a few hours of sleep. Take naps throughout the day, even if they’re short, because that’ll help decrease your sleep debt.

10. Try to keep healthy foods in your diet.

You don’t need to eat kale for every meal, but try to keep fruits and vegetables in your diet. You may want to eat nothing but chocolate during these last few weeks, but you’ll feel better if you try to eat healthy.

11. Take time to remind yourself that the world is not riding on your grade in one class.

It’s easy to get caught up in the stress and forget that the world does not revolve around your grades. Take some time to sit down with a friend, or by yourself, and remind yourself that you aren’t lazy for not taking a certain class next semester and that if you don’t get an A in a hard class, you’re not a failure.

These last few weeks are going to be stressful but if you keep these tips in mind, you’ll be able to get through them relatively unscathed. Remember: your mental health is your number one priority and nothing should compromise that.

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.