by Nancy Canevari

The 9 People You Run Into Over Break

By Nancy Canevari - Jan 15 2017

Coming home from college for winter break is a whirlwind of experiences: on one hand, you're back in your old house with all of your friends and family, and everything seems familiar. On the other hand, coming back home means encountering a bunch of people that you haven't had to deal with over the last few months, which isn't always a positive experience. Here are just a few examples of the people you run into while home on winter break, both the good and the bad.

1. Your friends from high school.

You probably didn't get a chance to see everyone while home for Thanksgiving, so winter break is an opportunity to see all of your friends you haven't seen since the summer. Welcome to three weeks of reunion hugs and sharing your experiences from first semester!

2. Former classmates.

There are definitely people from high school that you never spoke to, or who you have no desire to continue talking to post-graduation. Your best bet: try to avoid confrontation, because they probably don't want to see you either.

3. Relatives.

Maybe it's your favorite cousin or a grandparent you've always gotten along with, but maybe you've run into your disapproving aunt or your really weird uncle. Try to be as polite as possible, and make a speedy exit.

4. Your ex.

Even if you're on good terms with your ex, running into them is guaranteed to be awkward. Depending on your current relationship with them, there are a few ways to proceed: polite conversation is definitely one, but pretending that you don't see them and walking away is also valid.

5. Your pets.

The single happiest moment of the entire year. Nothing will ever compare to this.

6. Your ex's parents.

Yeah...there's no way to make this not awkward. If this happens to you, I'm so sorry. I have no advice. 

7. Former teachers.

Just when you thought you'd left high school behind, you run into your freshman year geometry teacher in the grocery store. Yes, college is going well. No, I'm not studying your subject. Can I go now?

8. Random family friends.

How do you approach these people? They might be close with your parents, but you've probably had limited interactions with them one-on-one. What do you talk about?

9. Your friends who are still in high school.

So sweet. So innocent. So yet to be jaded by the real world. Good luck, kids: college is coming for you sooner than you think.

No matter who you run into while you're home from college, I hope your break is relaxing and full of as few awkward encounters as possible.

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.