Display photo 1421977870504 378093748ae6
by Nancy Canevari

9 Things to Do on Long Bus Rides

By Nancy Canevari - Nov 15 2016

If you're traveling home for Thanksgiving or winter break and you go to school far away, you're going to be dealing with a long ride back. Since most colleges don't allow freshmen to have their cars on campus, most of us will be using public transportation to get home, especially buses. Take advantage of those hours on transport to take care of things that you need to do, so that when you're home on break you'll have time to relax.

1. Do your homework.

unsplash.com 

I know, I know, it’s obvious, but if you’re going to be sitting on a bus for hours in pre-Thanksgiving traffic, you may as well get started on the mountains of papers you have due before the end of the semester. Most major bus companies will have wifi and power outlets on their vehicles, so you can easily bring your laptop. Even if the service you’re taking doesn’t, bring your textbooks so you can get caught up on any reading you might have.

2. Research internships.

unsplash.com

If you’re planning on getting an internship this summer, a very long bus ride is the perfect time to look into them. You can also use the drive to research summer jobs. It’s best to get started on this early because deadlines are coming up, and you definitely want to get started before positions get filled.

3. Learn a new skill.

unsplash.com

Take advantage of the time you have to learn how to do something new- knitting, crocheting, drawing, etc. Pick up some supplies before you head out and find a Youtube tutorial if you need to. It’s a great way to pass the time, and you may end up with some potential holiday gifts.

4. Plan your classes for next semester.

unsplash.com

If you haven’t had course registration yet, spend the bus ride researching major requirements (if you’re unsure of your major, pick classes that interest you), and the course catalog to see what’s available. It’ll make registration a thousand times easier if you have a fully-formed plan.

5. Plan out your week.

unsplash.com

Make an outline of the things that you have to do during the time that you’re home, and figure out when you’re going to do them. Between holiday events and seeing friends and family, time home can get pretty busy very quickly, which means that often work can get forgotten about. Having a realistic plan should help you get your work done and have time for fun at the same time.

6. Read a book.

unsplash.com

When you’re busy with exams and papers, reading for pleasure often gets forgotten about. Take advantage of the bus ride to read the book you’ve been wanting to read for months but haven’t been able to. If you get carsick easily, I recommend an audiobook.

7. Get caught up on the news.

pexels.com

In spite of what the media coverage may have you believe, there are things going on this week other than the uncontainable dumpster fire that was the presidential election. Read up on your preferred news sites to see what else has been going on in the world.

8. Listen to a podcast.

pexels.com

People tend to forget about podcasts when they think about different types of media, but some of them are very entertaining and informative. Pick a fun one for entertainment, or pick an educational one to learn something that you may otherwise have not explored.

9. Take care of any paperwork and phone calls you need to do.