by Nancy Canevari

9 Resources for LGBTQ+ College Students

By Nancy Canevari - May 02 2017
College students who identify as LGBT+ encounter multiple obstacles over their college careers that other students do not, and as a result, those students need support from additional resources that their peers may not. There is no shame in seeking out these additional resources as different identities require different forms of support, so Fresh U has compiled a list of nine resources that LGBTQ+ students can utilize, both on campus and beyond.

1. The Consortium of Higher Education LGBT Resource Professionals

du.edu

The Consortium works to create safe communities for LGBTQ+ students on college campuses by bringing LGBTQ+ students together and advocating for safety and tolerance. They also have a job listings page where people seeking careers in LGBTQ+ issues on college campuses can find and apply for jobs.

2. Scholarship Foundations

ai.eecs.umich.edu

There are numerous scholarships available for LGBT+ identifying students. The Point Foundation and Live Out Loud both provide scholarships every year, and Point also provides a mentoring program. The Worldwide LGBT Aviation Community also provides scholarships and a mentorship program for aspiring pilots who identify as LGBTQ+.

3. Campus Pride Index

campuspride.org

This resource is great for students who are choosing colleges. The Campus Pride Index is a resource that evaluates how LGBTQ+ friendly a college campus is by evaluating factors like policy inclusion, academic life, health and counseling services and social atmosphere, among a variety of other issues.

4. Lambda Legal

lambdalegal.org

Lambda Legal advocates for the civil rights of LGBTQ+ individuals. They lead legal cases, education campaigns and also provide information about legal protections for LGBTQ+ people state by state.

5. Trans Student Educational Resources

transstudent.org

TSER is led entirely by trans students and seeks to educate the general population on transgender issues by speaking at conventions, leading workshops and publishing educational literature. They also provide scholarships for trans students.

6. College LGBTQ+ Centers

uni.edu

Many colleges have centers designated for their LGBT+ students, which provide resources and an opportunity for students to interact with like-identified peers. If your campus has one, definitely see what it has to offer.

7. oSTEM

ostem.org

oSTEM is a national organization designed to support and empower LGBTQ+ students in the STEM field. They have 50 chapters across the country and host an annual conference for involved students in Chicago.

8. Diversity.com

diversity.com

For students looking for jobs either post-graduation or over the summer, Diversity.com is a great resource for finding jobs that are accepting of diverse candidates. Similar career-search resources include Idealist.org and LGBT CareerLink.

9. Greek Life

nau.edu

Delta Lambda Phi is the first fraternity for gay and bisexual men and now has multiple chapters across the country. Gamma Rho Lambda is a social sorority for gay and bisexual women, trans men, trans women and nonbinary students.

If you’re a member of the LGBTQ+ community and currently enrolled in college, know that there are resources out there to help you if you need them. Even if you attend a college with few on-campus resources, there are larger national resources that you can turn to if you need them. Developing a support network is so important, especially in these difficult political times. Stay informed and stay connected!

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.