by Nancy Canevari

8 Thoughts You Have on the Way Home for Vacation

By Nancy Canevari - Mar 13 2017

Whether your journey home for vacation is a thirty minute train ride or a seven hour flight, there are plenty of shared thoughts all students have as they travel home from college for break. Here are just a few thoughts you have while heading home for a week (or more) of relaxation.

1. FREEDOM AT LAST.

You’re finally done with all of the tests and papers you had to worry about before leaving and you don’t have to worry about classes for a week. You finally have a chance to forget about some of your responsibilities.

2. It’s going to take HOW long to get home?

If you don’t live far away from college, this one may not apply to you as well, but if your journey is long, or you run into traffic or face public transportation delays, realizing how long it’s going to take to actually get home can be pretty disheartening.

3. Why did I get stuck with this seat buddy?

Public transportation is convenient, but you’re guaranteed to end up with at least one undesirable seat buddy. Whether they’re someone who brings smelly food on a crowded train, someone who wants to talk to you for the entire ride or someone who falls asleep on your shoulder, you’re going to run into a neighbor at some point you’d rather not deal with.

4. I should start my homework.

If you’re going home in the middle of the semester, you probably have work to do for when you get back. Doing it during the ride would mean having more time once you finally get home, but what if you slept instead?

5. I can’t wait to eat actual food.

Months of dining hall food can really wear you down. Let’s be real, half the excitement of coming home is knowing that you’ll get to eat a home-cooked meal.

6. How much longer?

You’re sure you’re almost home, but once you check the time, you realize that you still have hours to go. You should have picked a college closer to home.

7. I should take a nap.

You’ve probably spent the past week frantically studying and staying up until two in the morning to finish your papers. If you have a few more hours until you get home, now’s probably a great time to take a quick nap.

8. Is there a faster way to get home?

via GIPHY

Most freshmen are still trying to figure out the quickest and most efficient way of traveling home for breaks. You may have taken a train home this time, but that doesn’t mean you won’t be looking into how long a bus would take, or if having your parents come pick you up wouldn’t be faster than using mass transit.

No matter how long your trip home may be, know that it’ll all be worth it when you’re back in your familiar house. Have a relaxing break!

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.