Display rob bye 141857
by Nancy Canevari

8 Restaurants Smith College Students Should Check Out

By Nancy Canevari - Jun 03 2017

If you’re coming to Smith in the fall, you probably know that you’re going to be on an unlimited meal plan, which means that you’ll be eating in the dining hall for pretty much every meal. Obviously, that can get pretty boring as the semester goes on and you may eventually get sick of the dining hall food. Fortunately, there are plenty of restaurants and cafes to check out in Northampton for days when you can’t deal with the dining hall food anymore. Here are just a few.

1. Noodles

Noodles is an Asian fusion restaurant located at 257 Main Street that serves ramen noodle soups, teriyaki rice bowls and other noodle dishes. Its prices are very affordable, which makes it a great place to go with some friends without breaking the bank. It’s also a great place to go if you have any dietary restrictions because there a number of vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options.

2. Herrells

If you’re in the mood for ice cream rather than a full meal, Herrells is the perfect place for you. Located at 8 Old South Street, Herrells offers a ton of different ice cream flavors, with a bunch of topping options that you can add to your ice cream or milkshake. Bonus points: They’ll give you free ice cream on your birthday, so make sure you head down there!

3. Taipei & Tokyo

For days when you don’t want dining hall food but can’t be bothered to walk into town, Taipei & Tokyo will deliver any number of Asian fusion items to your door. While I’m personally a fan of its sushi, the restaurant also serves rice and noodle dishes, as well as fish and meat options, all at very budget-friendly prices. If you’re in the mood for eating out, it's located at 16 Crafts Avenue.

4. Nourish Wellness Cafe

One of my favorite things to make at home are smoothies, but coming to college meant leaving my blender and my supply of fresh produce behind. Fortunately, Nourish Wellness Cafe, located at 10 Bridge Street, has a ton of different smoothie options, as well as juices and savory bowls. Its prices do tend to run high, though, so consider Nourish more of a treat than an everyday thing.

5. Paul and Elizabeth’s

This is the perfect place to go with your parents when they visit for the weekend or the perfect place to celebrate a special occasion because while their food is delicious, it’s definitely on the pricier side. Its menu is pescatarian and includes many vegetarian and vegan options as well, all in a bright, open environment with Japanese-inspired decor. It’s located at 150 Main Street, on the second floor of Thornes.

6. Filos Greek Taverna

Another great option for delivery (because who wants to hike all the way downtown when it’s late at night and you’re exhausted?), Filos serves pizza, traditional Greek dishes and fries with creative toppings (I recommend their truffle fries, but I’ve also heard great things about their kimchi fries). If you do decide to go out, they’re located at 279 Main Street.

7. Viva Fresh Pasta

Viva is an Italian restaurant that serves homemade pasta, as well as a variety of other Italian dishes, appetizers and soups. Its menu is on the pricier side, so this is another one you might want to wait for parents’ weekend for. It's located at 249 Main Street.

8. Glazed

Glazed is a Smith staple: Located at 8 Crafts Avenue, it's not too far of a walk from any of the houses, its coffee is pretty good ... and it has $1 doughnuts every night after 10 p.m. What more could you want? Glazed does tend to get pretty busy because college students love cheap sugar, so make sure you get there early to find a table (because unless you live on Lower Elm, you won’t want to walk all the way home with your food).

The next time you’re in the market for some quality, non-dining hall food, give some of these restaurants and cafes a go. You’re sure not to be disappointed, and with most of them, you’ll stay well within your budget.

Lead Image Credit: Rob Bye via Unsplash

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.