by Nancy Canevari

8 Little Things You've Accomplished Your Freshman Year

By Nancy Canevari - Feb 26 2017

Freshman year is a period of adjustments as you get used to college life. During this period of adjustment, freshmen find themselves accomplishing many things as they learn how to manage life on their own. Here are just a few small accomplishments that students make during their freshman year.

1. Living on your own for the first time.

Whether your parents are a plane ride away or just down the road, this year you've learned how to live by yourself for the first time and manage your responsibilities without your parents. You've kept your room clean, kept yourself healthy and taken care of any problems which may previously have sent you running to your parents.

2. Registering for classes.

Class registration is always stressful, between Internet problems and classes filling up before you can even blink. Regardless of any difficulties you may have had, you've successfully registered for two semesters' worth of classes.

3. Making a new group of friends.

College means meeting a ton of new people and trying to figure out if they're the kind of people you want to spend time with. By this point in the year you've likely found "your people" and have formed a solid group of friends, likely for the first time in years.

4. Living with a roommate.

Even if you've shared a room with your siblings in the past, living with a complete stranger is totally different. There's plenty to be learned from living with a roommate, from learning how to share space to dealing with conflicting sleep schedules.

5. Managing finals week.

Finals week brings an entirely new level of stress that you've likely never experienced before, even if you had finals in high school. You've learned how to (somewhat) handle tests, projects and papers, all on minimal sleep.

6. Dealing with illness by yourself.

The first time that you get sick or hurt yourself while in college can be overwhelming: you have to deal with scheduling appointments and prescriptions entirely by yourself. Calling your insurance company for yourself is one of the biggest steps towards adulthood you can make.

7. Managing your money.

Even if you have a part-time job while in school, college means balancing your own budget and paying for things as you need them, rather than relying on your parents to help you out.

8. Managing homesickness.

Missing your family, your friends and your pets is a perfectly normal part of going away to college for the first time. Adjusting to homesickness and feeling comfortable being away from your parents is a huge accomplishment.

If you ever start to feel like you haven't accomplished enough this year, think back to all of the little things you've accomplished over your freshman year. It's more than you think!

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.