by Nancy Canevari

8 Coffee and Tea Shops to Check Out Near Smith College

By Nancy Canevari - Aug 02 2017

If you’re coming to Smith College in the fall and are a fan of coffee or tea, you’ve come to the right place. Northampton has a ton of great tea and coffee shops to fulfill all of your caffeine (and food) related needs. Here are just a few places to check out if you find yourself in Northampton and in need of caffeine.

1. Haymarket Cafe

Located at 185 Main Street, Haymarket not only has a large selection of coffee and tea options, but it also offers a full selection of smoothies and juices as well. There’s also an array of breakfast and lunch options if you want to stop in for a full meal. The storefront of Haymarket is small, but upon walking inside, you’ll find a warm environment with mirrors and paintings on the walls, small lamps and wooden tables.

2. Booklink Bookseller Tea Bar

Located on the second floor of Thornes Marketplace (at 150 Main Street), the Tea Bar is one of the less well-known spots in Northampton, but it’s completely worth it. With a collection of handmade teas that are absolutely delicious and an entire two-story bookstore to explore while you drink, this is the perfect place to stop by while you’re running errands in Thornes.

3. Woodstar Cafe

Woodstar is located at 60 Masonic Street and has the added perk of having a ton of outdoor seating, perfect for good-weather days. If you choose to sit inside, the seating areas are well-lit by large windows. In terms of food, Woodstar offers both coffee, tea and baked goods and meal items like sandwiches and salads.

4. The Roost

One of my personal favorite spots in Northampton, the Roost, is located at 1 Market Street and has a fresh, clean atmosphere with wooden benches, lots of potted plants and hanging bottle lamps. It’s a great place to sit and get some work done, and their coffee (and food) is fantastic.

5. Northampton Coffee

Located at 269 Pleasant Street, Northampton Coffee prides itself on having sustainably-grown and sourced coffee and tea, all of which are high-quality products. They have an open, calming ambience with lots of lighting and potted plants, perfect for sitting and relaxing for an afternoon.

6. Tart Baking Co

Part bakery, part coffee shop, Tart is located at 192 Main Street and has locally and sustainably-sourced coffee for reasonable prices. They also have a ton of sweet and savory pastry items, including vegan options. Seating is limited inside, however, so you may want to take your food and go.

7. Dobra Tea

Dobra Tea is located at 186 Main Street and has an enormous variety of different tea options, from herbal to green to white blends. They’re also sourced from all across the world, meaning that they’re excellent-quality products. The inside of the tea shop is decorated with area rugs, plants and colorful teapots, and outdoor seating is available as well.

8. Share Northampton

Located on the first level of Thornes (at 150 Main Street), Share is a great place to grab coffee and a bite to eat while you’re running errands. Because seating is located in the center of the marketplace, it can get pretty crowded, so you might want to scout out additional seating on the other floors.

If you're coming to Smith in the fall, definitely check out some of these spots for coffee and tea. It'll quickly help you figure out your way around Northampton, and you're guaranteed some quality coffee in the process. 

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.