Display 5440995138 b08f98ac3d b
by Nancy Canevari

8 Charities to Donate to Throughout Trump's Presidency

By Nancy Canevari - Feb 05 2017

Donald Trump has been president for two weeks now and he's already targeting women, refugees, and minorities. These communities need support more than ever and one of the easiest ways to help them out is to donate money to charities that help support them. Here are eight charities to donate to in light of the recent inauguration.

1. Planned Parenthood

OmCik Com via Flickr Creative Commons

On January 23rd, Trump signed an executive order reinstating the global gag rule, which prevents federal funding from going to international charities that discuss abortion as a family planning option. Considering his and Mike Pence’s track records with abortion, any organizations that support it and women’s health are going to need your support, and Planned Parenthood is a great place to start. Planned Parenthood provides access to reproductive and general healthcare, as well as family planning help, for millions of people across the country. Donate here.

2. Save the Children

Save the Children

Following Trump’s executive order on refugees and immigrants on January 27th, millions of refugees across the world are unable to seek shelter within the United States. Save the Children works across the globe to help children in dangerous environments, including the refugee children now being denied sanctuary in the U.S. Donate here.

3. Doctors Without Borders

Doctors Without Borders

Doctors Without Borders sends medical professionals to impoverished and/or unsafe areas to provide medical care to those that need it most, including refugees in countries like Syria. Donate here.

4. The United Nations High Council on Refugees

United Nations High Council on Refugees

The UNHCR provides emergency assistance to refugees during displacement and provides them with financial assistance regardless of whether they choose to return home or seek asylum abroad. Donate here.

5. National Resources Defense Council

National Resources Defense Council

The NRDC advocates for environmental change by pairing advocates with elected leaders, scientists and lawyers to bring about maximum change. Between making claims to eventually abolish the EPA and appointing a head of the EPA who denies climate change, any organization that supports the environment is going to need it. Donate here.

6. NAACP Legal Defense Fund

NAACP Legal Defense Fund

The NAACP LDF works to eliminate racial prejudice in the criminal justice system and increase fairness in African American participation in economics and the democratic process, as well as several other measures to decrease racial prejudice through intervention in the government, criminal justice system and educational system. Donate here.

7. Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund

Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund

Donald Trump’s racism towards Mexicans and Mexican-Americans has been evident since the beginning of his campaign: he’s called them rapists and criminals with virtually no evidence to support that claim. The MALDEF works to bring people of Latin-American descent into socio-economic and political life through educational and political outreach programs. Donate here.

8. The Los Angeles LGBT Center

The LA LGBT Center

Mike Pence is the real concern with this because Trump’s VP has supported both conversion therapy and Indiana’s “religious freedom” law, both of which harm LGBT+ populations severely. The LA center is the largest LGBT+ rights organization in the country and provides assistance to LGBT+ individuals in the form of health, social services and housing, culture and education and leadership and advocacy. Donate here.

We’re in for four years of attacks on basic human rights that we didn't think we would have to be concerned about. The best way to respond to this is to fight back against discriminatory legislation through supporting those who support the marginalized. If you can’t donate to any of the charities, spread information about them when you can to increase awareness.

Lead Image Credit: Gage Skidmore via Flickr Creative Commons 

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.