by Nancy Canevari

7 Ways to Make Your Winter Clothes Work for Warm Weather

By Nancy Canevari - Mar 03 2017

Colleges across the country have been experiencing unusually warm weather in the last few weeks and students everywhere have been breaking out spring and summer clothing. As most schools haven’t had spring break yet, many students haven’t gone home to get their full summer wardrobes yet and they’re stuck with their winter clothes. Fortunately, Fresh U is here to help with a guide to transitioning your winter wardrobe into the weather months!

1. Wear your long-sleeved shirts with shorts or short skirts.

Linas Bam via Unsplash 

If your shirts aren’t too heavy and the weather isn’t too warm, you should be able to stay cool in a long-sleeved shirt if you pair it with something with a shorter hemline.

2. Pair your boots with a sundress.

Tamara Bellis via Unsplash

Your winter boots don’t have to go into storage for the summer months if you pair them with a shorter dress — they’ll add an interesting edge to your outfit, and because your feet aren’t a body part that tends to easily overheat, you’ll be able to stay cool.

3. Layer button-downs and cardigans.

Brooke Cagle via Unsplash

Keep your button-down shirts and sweaters in your wardrobe by layering them over short-sleeved shirts, blouses and dresses. They’re a great way to accessorize and provide an additional layer if the weather turns chilly.

4. Choose lighter-colored pants, leggings and tights.

Mc Jefferson Agloro via Unsplash

If you want to keep wearing some of your favorite jeans or leggings in the summer, choose ones that are lighter in color. Dark colors will attract more sunlight and make you overheat more quickly, so picking a pair of pants that are white or pastel will keep you cooler.

5. Choose loose-fitting pants.

Kyson Dana via Unsplash

Tight-fitting clothes will make you sweat more, whereas loose-fitting ones will allow more air movement and cool you down. If you want to wear pants or a long skirt, pick ones that have a loose, airy fit.

6. Throw on a thin scarf.

Scarves can stay in your wardrobe as long as you’re picking ones that are thin and lightweight. Heavy wool scarves will make you overheat in seconds, but ones made from silk or cotton will keep you cool.

7. Keep your lightweight sweaters.

If the weather isn’t too warm, there’s no reason you can’t keep your thinner sweaters around. This works even better if you have sleeveless sweaters, as they’ll leave your arms bare and prevent excess sweating.

With the weather changing so abruptly, picking clothes to wear can be a bit of a hassle. With this guide to wardrobe transitioning, the process should be a bit easier, and you’ll be able to dress for the weather and look good while doing it. 

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.