Display leaf nature green spring 158780
by Nancy Canevari

7 Unique College St. Patrick's Day Traditions

By Nancy Canevari - Mar 11 2017

St. Patrick’s Day is a great excuse to have a fun, relaxing day of celebration without needing to worry about formal events and buying gifts. Colleges across the country are all preparing to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, and here are just a few colleges' traditions for celebrating the Irish.

1. Leprecon (Stanford University, University of California at Berkeley and San Francisco State University)

stanford.edu

Leprecon is an annual St. Patrick’s Day-themed pub crawl that draws students from all across the Bay Area. It’s common to see attendees dressed in green and other leprechaun-inspired gear to make the event even more festive.

2. Fake Patty’s Day (Kansas State University)

k-state.edu

This party takes place before St. Patrick’s Day during KSU’s spring break. The school provides Uber and Lyft discount codes to help prevent drinking and driving.

3. Missouri University of Science and Technology

mst.edu

MST takes St. Patrick’s Day very seriously. Students have two days off from classes, and the festivities include a parade, a concert and events such as a ceremonial Snake Invasion. Several events are open to the public, so even non-students can join in on the fun. There’s also St. Patrick’s Day-themed merchandise available for purchase to commemorate the event.

4. Chicago Schools

uchicago.edu

Every year, citizens of Chicago participate in a parade that spans most of the city and involves costumes, floats and fun. The parade ends with the dyeing of the Chicago River, which runs bright green.

5. Boston College

bc.edu

As a Catholic school with a thriving Irish-American student population, BC knows how to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in style. South Boston hosts an annual parade celebrating Irish heritage that many students flock to, and the college itself hosts events celebrating Irish history.

6. University of Scranton

scranton.edu

Scranton hosts a large St. Patrick’s Day parade every year that hosts representatives from various local organizations. The parade is a chance for students to celebrate the holiday and wear plenty of green.

7. University of South Carolina

sc.edu

The University of South Carolina is located in Columbia, whose Five Points Bar District hosts many Irish-inspired events on St. Patrick’s Day, including a concert. Many students flock to the district for festive celebrations. 

Whether your school made the list or not, be sure to take some time this St. Patrick's Day to take part in the fun. You don't have to be Irish to have a good time!

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.