by Nancy Canevari

7 Thoughts You Have at the Gym

By Nancy Canevari - Jan 29 2017

Going to the gym is a big part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. That doesn't mean that it's always fun, but there are plenty of unique experiences and thoughts that you'll have while there. Here are just a few.

1. "I'm gonna be in such good shape."

Even if you've spent all of five minutes on the treadmill, you're well on your way to physical fitness. You could totally run a marathon next month, right?

2. "Why is this person getting on the treadmill next to me?"

There are 12 other treadmills across the gym that aren't next to this one. Please move away from me.

3. "Wait, they're cute."

As soon as you notice a cute person somewhere in your vicinity at the gym, your entire demeanor changes. Suddenly you're a professional athlete who does this all the time. 

4. "I have no idea how to use any of this equipment."

There are roughly a dozen exercise machines in the gym and half of them make absolutely no sense. Cue standing in the middle of the room, trying to figure out what to do and still looking like an idiot.

5. "I'm dying."

Why did you decide to do this? Is getting in shape really worth it? You're pretty sure you're about to drop dead.

6. "Everyone is judging me."

Either you're not lifting enough weights, or you're running way too slowly, or you're not doing enough reps on one of the machines. No matter what you're doing, you always feel like someone is judging you.

7. "I'm never doing this again."

Working out is completely overrated. Do you really need to do this again? Is it possible to drift through life without ever exercising again?

Even though it can be hard, regular exercise can definitely pay off. Hang in there, and it'll get easier!

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.