by Nancy Canevari

12 Binge-Worthy Dramas to Watch on Netflix Over Break

By Nancy Canevari - Dec 24 2016

Now that winter break is under way, it's finally time to binge watch all the shows you haven't had time for during school. If you're looking for something action-packed and exciting that's going to have you sitting on the edge of your seat, look no further. Here is a list of 12 binge-worthy drama shows to watch on Netflix now that you have some time to yourself.

1. "How to Get Away With Murder"

ABC

Five law students find themselves in the classroom of Annalise Keating, a ruthless criminal defense lawyer who recruits them to work for her firm. The students are dragged into a variety of murder cases during their employment, and the result is a heart-stopping, suspenseful show with twists and turns you’ll never see coming.

2. "Jessica Jones"

Netflix

Jessica Jones appeals to die-hard Marvel fans as well as people who don’t usually follow superheroes. The show follows a private investigator with super powers (in particular, extreme physical strength), as she hunts down a villain with the ability to control other people’s minds.

3. "Sense8"

Netflix

Sense8 tells the story of eight people scattered across the globe, leading completely separate lives, but who are all telepathically linked. The individual storylines of each character are all intriguing, but the ways that they blend together is what makes the show so unique: eight people from eight corners of the world come together to defeat the villains that want to track them down.

4. "Merlin"

BBC

Perfect for both hardcore fantasy fans and people who want something lighter, Merlin is a retelling of the traditional Arthurian legend complete with magic, dragons and knights. The show follows Merlin and Arthur as young men and Arthur’s ascent to the throne of Camelot, and is as beautifully heartbreaking as it is exciting.

5. "Spartacus"

STARZ

If you love the political intrigue and bloody battles of Game of Thrones and can’t wait for the season premiere, Spartacus is the perfect choice. Set in the Roman Empire, the show follows a slave uprising led by the famous gladiator. It’s full of action-packed battles and exciting plot twists, but it’s also surprisingly human, with fully-developed characters and touches on social issues applicable today.

6. "Reign"

The CW

Reign follows the young Mary, Queen of Scots in the years she spent at French court, both before and after her marriage to Francis II. It’s an exciting period drama full of political intrigue and plot twists, and features a stellar cast.

7. "The 100"

The CW

Set in the distant future, The 100 follows the world’s last surviving humans, who now live in space following the nuclear apocalypse. When the shuttle they live on begins to break down, however, the 100 teenage convicts imprisoned there are sent to earth to determine its survivability. It’s a story of survival and war, but also deals with deeply human issues.

8. "Shameless"

Showtime

Shameless follows a family of seven living on the South Side of Chicago and their struggles with poverty, alcoholism and family drama. It’s simultaneously an unflinching political statement about poverty in America and a comedic story about family and friendship.

9. "Once Upon a Time"

ABC

Perfect for every Disney fan, Once Upon a Time tells the story of a wide range of fairy tale characters, who have been exiled from their world into ours by a mysterious curse. The show contains a variety of characters and subplots, and there’s always something new just around the corner.

10. "Orange is the New Black"

Netflix

Orange is the New Black follows several convicts in a women’s prison, and alternates between exploring their stories within the prison and the backstories that landed them there in the first place. It makes strong political statements about race, class, gender, sexuality and the criminal justice system, but can also be lighthearted and funny.

11. "Stranger Things"

Netflix

If you haven’t watched Stranger Things already, break is the perfect time to do so. Set in 1970s Indiana, the show follows a group of children attempting to track down their friend Will, who’s seemingly been kidnapped by a monster. It’s a perfect blend of paranormal thriller and science fiction.

12. "Robin Hood"

BBC

This retelling of the classic legend follows Robin Hood’s crew in their fight against the Sheriff of Nottingham, and is simultaneously a lighthearted journey through the forest and an action-packed adventure. The cast is stellar, and the characters are all tangible and real.

The next time you feel like curling up on your couch with hot chocolate and Netflix, give one of these shows a try! You're sure to be entertained.

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.