Display bzf9tv9d8i0 crew
by Nancy Canevari

11 Items to Keep in Your Backpack

By Nancy Canevari - Jan 23 2017

Your backpack is your lifeline in college: when you spend an entire day running around campus going to classes, meetings and study sessions, you have to be able to fit everything you need in a bag that you can carry around with you. Regardless of where you’re going, there are a few items you should be sure to always have with you, because they’re guaranteed to come in handy.

1. Laptop and Laptop Charger

Even on days when you don’t think you’ll need your laptop, bring it anyway — if you have unexpected downtime while waiting between obligations, you could have time to do your homework. If your class unexpectedly uses an online resource, it’ll be much easier for you to have your laptop instead of being stuck using your phone. Don’t forget your charger!

2. Band-Aids

Accidents happen. The last thing you want is to be stuck without a Band-Aid when you or someone around you gets an unexpected injury, so carry a few around in your bag.

3. Advil or Other Pain Reliever

Similar to Band-Aids, it’s better to be prepared for unexpected medical issues. Carrying Advil or Tylenol with you is a great idea for the days when you’re hit with a headache or cramps out of the blue.

4. A Snack

Brown Eyed Baker via Flickr Creative Commons

Keep a granola bar or another type of healthy and convenient snack with you for days when you’re stuck at the library for longer than expected and can’t make it to meals on time. You can’t work if you’re hungry!

5. A Water Bottle

Benjamin Voros via Unsplash,com

Hydration is so important, and it can be easy to forget to drink water if you’re having an especially busy day. Keep a water bottle on hand at all times. Reusable ones are best, because you can refill them as you go, but disposable ones obviously work too.

6. A Notebook and a Pen

Even if you take most of your notes on your computer or tablet, carry some type of paper anyway. If your laptop dies unexpectedly, or if you need to write down something quickly, having a notebook is going to make your life much easier.

7. Hand Lotion

Pixabay

This one’s especially important during the winter months, when it’s so easy for your hands to get dry from the cold. Keep a travel-sized bottle of lotion on hand for easy moisturizing.

8. Chapstick

Steve Nguyen via Flickr Creative Commons

Similar to hand lotion, this one is important when the weather is fighting battles against your skin. You never work your best when you’re uncomfortable, so keep Chapstick with you when your lips are feeling dry.

9. Portable Charger

faara786 via Flickr Creative Commons

Regular chargers are obviously great, but what about when your phone dies and you’re nowhere near an outlet? Stash a portable charger in your backpack just in case you need to quickly recharge your battery throughout the day.

10. Hand Sanitizer

kamicheung via Flickr Creative Commons

Think about all of the surfaces you touch over the course of a normal day. Then think about the last time any of those surfaces were cleaned. Yikes. It’s difficult enough to get through college without getting sick, but hand sanitizer will definitely help you kill some pesky germs.

11. Hair Ties

Erik via Flickr Creative Commons

If you have long hair, keep a few extra hair ties on hand, because there’s nothing worse than the one you’re using breaking halfway through the day. Even if you’re wearing your hair down, throw a few hair ties in your backpack just in case you need to put it up.

Hopefully this list helps you out as you go through your busy life. It never hurts to be prepared!

Lead Image Credit: Crew via Unsplash

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.