Display zwi4uewznpk brigitte tohm
by Nancy Canevari

11 Delicious Early-Morning Smoothie Combinations

By Nancy Canevari - Jan 07 2017

Smoothies are a great breakfast option because they can include so many different nutritious ingredients and you don't need to eat a huge portion of food. They’re a great option for college students as well because they’re easy to make and are a great way to energize yourself in the morning. Unfortunately, most people don’t know where to start when it comes to making smoothies, so we’ve got you covered with 11 fail-safe recipes that are easy to make and guaranteed to energize you through your busiest days.

1. Chunky Monkey

Ingredients: 1.5 frozen bananas, 2 tbsp. nut butter, 2 tbsp. cocoa powder, ¼ cup of milk (dairy or nondairy, depending on your preference)

Nuts have protein that will keep you full and energized throughout the day, which is especially important if you have a busy day and can’t eat lunch until late. Bananas are high in potassium, which is an electrolyte that regulates fluids in the body (keeping you hydrated) and improve brain function, which will keep you alert during your classes. Cocoa is high in antioxidants and has been shown to reduce chronic fatigue.

2. Green Goddess

Ingredients: ¼ of a pineapple, 2 kiwis, 1 cup spinach, ¼ cup apple juice, ice

Spinach packs a ton of energy, as do apples. Pineapples and kiwis are both high in Vitamin C, which is great for boosting your immune system and preventing colds and coughs, which is especially important if you’re living in a crowded dorm where everyone spreads their germs.

3. Very Berry

Ingredients: 1.5 frozen bananas, ½ cup blueberries, ½ cup strawberries, ⅓ cup raspberries, liquid of choice for blending

Bananas provide a ton of energy, which will wake you up in the morning and keep you going throughout the day, but berries have a ton of health benefits too. Strawberries and raspberries are high in Vitamin C and can help your immune system; blueberries are high in fiber and can keep you feeling full longer.

4. PB & Greens

Ingredients: 1.5 frozen bananas, 2 tbsp. peanut butter, ⅓ cup oats, 1 cup spinach, liquid to blend

Spinach and bananas are both energizing and full of nutrients, and peanut butter will keep you suppress your appetite and keep you full throughout the day. Adding oats to your smoothies is a great way to keep yourself fuller for longer as well — they’re high in protein and fiber, which will keep you satisfied.

5. Summer Medley

Ingredients: ½ cup halved cherries, 1 peach, ½ cup strawberries, ice, liquid to blend

Cherries contain melatonin, which can help regulate your sleep schedule — even if you consume them in the morning — and contain fiber that will keep you full. Peaches improve digestion and increase immune resistance, which will keep you feeling healthy as you go through the day.

6. Tropical Bliss

Ingredients: ½ mango, 1 frozen banana, ½ cup chopped pineapple, ⅓ cup orange juice

Oranges are high in Vitamin C, which will support your immune system and keep you feeling healthy, but they also contain Vitamin A to strengthen your eyes and fiber to keep you full. Mangoes also boost your immune system, but they also provide energy and sustenance after exercise.

7. Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients: ½ cup pumpkin puree, ½ cup milk of choice, 1 frozen banana, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (if you don’t have any, make your own by combining cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice and cloves)

Pumpkin is high in fiber, which will keep you full and alert throughout the day, and is also high in energizing potassium. Cinnamon is high in potassium as well and can fight viruses to keep you healthy.

8. Watermelon Mint

Ingredients: 2 cups frozen watermelon chunks, 1 tbsp. torn mint leaves, 1 tbsp. chia seeds, liquid to blend

The high water content in watermelon will keep you hydrated and alert, as will the high levels of Vitamin C. Chia seeds are high in fiber and even have a modest amount of fiber, both of which will keep you full and energized between breakfast and lunch. Mint also aids in digestion.

9. Melon Grape

Ingredients: 1 cup chopped cantaloupe, ½ cup frozen grapes, liquid to blend

Cantaloupe is high in energizing potassium and immune-system-boosting Vitamin C, but it’s also been shown to relieve stress and anxiety, which most students find themselves needing. Grapes are high in iron, which can lower fatigue and increase energy as well.

10. Apple Ginger

Ingredients: 1 cup spinach, 1 apple, 1 tbsp. minced ginger, ½ cucumber, ice, liquid to blend

Apple and spinach both provide high amounts of energy, and ginger can alleviate muscle pain and improve digestion, which will make you feel healthier in addition to feeling energized. Cucumber has a very high water content for maximum hydration and is very high in B vitamins that help relieve feelings of stress and anxiety.

11. Sweet Date

Flickr Creative Commons

Ingredients: 1 frozen banana, 2 tbsp. almond butter, 8 pitted dates, liquid for blending

Almonds are full of protein and fiber, which will keep you full until lunch and energized throughout the day. Dates are also high in fiber, as well as potassium, both of which will wake you up after a long night of studying.

The combinations don’t have to stop with these recipes: the beauty of smoothies is that they’re extremely versatile and you can blend any variety of ingredients to get something delicious and unique. Try a variety of fruits and vegetables and see which are the most energizing for you. Happy blending! Share your favorite combinations with us on Facebook and Twitter!

Lead Image Credit: Brigitte Tohm via Unsplash

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.