by Nancy Canevari

10 Ways to Spice Up Your Ramen

By Nancy Canevari - Jan 30 2017

Ramen is the college staple: it’s cheap, it’s easy to make and it stays good for months. It can get pretty boring if you’re eating it day after day, however, so we’ve compiled a list of recipes that even college students can make to spice up their ramen and keep it interesting.

1. Ramen Noodle Salad

Break the noodle pack into small pieces, then toss it with greens and other raw vegetables (cabbage and raw carrot are especially good). Add sesame seeds and sliced almonds for an additional crunch. For dressing, combine two parts vegetable oil with one part white wine vinegar and a splash of soy sauce, then toss with the rest of the salad and enjoy.

2. Ramen and Meatballs

Without the seasoning ramen noodles are basically regular pasta, so you can definitely use them in your normal recipes. Cook the ramen as you normally would, then toss with tomato sauce and microwaveable meatballs.

3. Pad Thai Ramen

Combine two tablespoons of peanut butter, two teaspoons of hot sauce and one tablespoon of soy sauce. Cook the ramen and toss it with the sauce. You can also add frozen vegetables if you want.

4. Ramen Tomato Soup

If you want to flavor your ramen and are feeling particularly lazy, boil the ramen, heat a can of tomato soup and combine the two. It’s fast, it’s easy, and it’s tasty.

5. Ramen Stir Fry

Cook the ramen as you normally would, then drain the water. Stir fry the noodles in a pan with soy sauce, vegetable oil and a bit of garlic, adding vegetables, meat or tofu if you want.

6. Ramen Vegetable Soup

Cook some frozen vegetables halfway through, then add them to your ramen before cooking it. Add the seasoning packet, as well as soy sauce if you want. For extra protein throw in a hard-boiled egg.

8. Breakfast Ramen Scramble

Toss cooked ramen in a pan with pre-cooked bacon, cheese and eggs. Add hot sauce or other condiments for additional flavor.

7. Pizza Ramen

Heat oil in a pan, then add two uncooked ramen noodle packs. Spread tomato sauce, shredded cheese and whatever toppings you want on top of the ramen, then cook until the noodles are crispy and the cheese has melted.

9. Ramen Rice Krispie Treats

Yes, ramen can be a dessert. Crush 3-4 blocks of uncooked ramen, then combine with one package of melted marshmallows and four tablespoons of melted butter. Once everything is well-mixed, spread the mixture into a pan and cut it into squares.

10. Ramen Mac n' Cheese

Melt eight ounces of grated cheddar with ¾ of a cup of milk. Once they’re fully combined, mix two packages of cooked ramen noodles into the cheese.

The days of boring ramen when dining hall food just isn’t cutting it are a thing of the past. Happy cooking!

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.