by Nancy Canevari

10 Tips to Write Everyday While in College

By Nancy Canevari - Feb 12 2017

Creative writing is a great way to relieve stress and express your thoughts, but making time for it on a busy college schedule can be difficult. You can still manage to keep up with your hobbies in college if you manage your time and keep a few tricks in mind, so here are ten tips to help you write every day even when you’re at your busiest.

1. Set yourself reasonable goals.

Unless you have a huge chunk of time on a particular day, writing 2,000 words every day just isn’t reasonable. Set yourself an achievable daily word count goal depending on how quickly you write and how much time you have — it can be as much as 1,000 words or as little as 200.

2. Keep a journal with daily prompts.

Make a list of daily prompts readily available to you and fill them out as you go. Sometimes the biggest obstacle to writing is writer’s block, so having a list of topics to write about will definitely help you shake that.

3. Make writing a part of your daily routine.

Set aside a specific time of day for writing — before you go to bed, when you wake up in the morning, during a break between classes — and write every day during that time. Making writing a part of your daily schedule will make you far less likely to skip doing it.

4. Figure out problems that you have when writing.

Where do you struggle when you write? Do you get stuck continuing plot along? Do you have trouble with dialogue? Figure out what you have difficulty with so that you’ll be prepared when you have trouble, and come up with possible solutions to those issues.

5. Get a writing buddy.

If you have a friend who writes, ask them to join you on your journey of writing every day. That way you can hold each other accountable for writing and bounce ideas off of each other if you’re stuck.

6. End every day in the middle of a scene.

If you’re working on a longer project, end every day of writing in the middle of a scene so that you can pick up where you left off the day before. That way, you’re not stuck the next day when you’re at the end of a scene and have no idea what to do.

7. Don’t worry about being perfect.

No first draft is going to be good. No second draft is going to be perfect either. Don’t worry about producing perfect content, just worry about writing.

8. Purchase quality supplies.

You’re far more likely to write often if you have a cute notebook to write in and good-quality pens, so stock up on nicer (but affordable) stationery. Having nice stationery will also make you feel obligated to fill it up.

9. Create a good writing playlist.

Avoiding distraction and keeping yourself focused while writing is tricky, but having a great writing playlist will keep you immersed in your project and focused on your writing.

10. Let yourself take breaks and change projects.

If you find yourself losing interest in a writing project, take a break and move on to something else for a while. The quickest way to kill your drive is to force yourself to work on something you don’t care about.

Finding time for creative writing may be difficult when you’re a busy college student, but with a few easy tips and tricks, you’re sure to find space in your busy schedule. You’ll be publishing your book in no time!

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.