Display garden
by Nancy Canevari

The 10 Stages of Spending Spring BreakAt Home

By Nancy Canevari - Mar 14 2017

With spring break well underway for most colleges, students are done with school and have come home. There are several stages to being home for break and most students will experience all of them over the course of the week.

1. Being thrilled to finally be home.

Your midterms are behind you, you’re home in your familiar bed and you don’t have to wear flip flops in the shower. It’s time for a week of not having to deal with other college students.

2. Seeing your friends from high school.

You haven’t seen your friends since winter break and you’re so excited to check in on how everyone is doing and hear crazy stories from the last few months.

3. Cuddling with your pets.

It doesn’t matter if your dog or cat doesn’t want anything to do with you. You’re going to cuddle them for the next three days straight.

4. Going to bed when your family is waking up.

You’ve been on a college schedule for the last few months, which means that you’re going to bed ridiculously late. Since your family still has to get up for work and school, you’re probably bumping into them in the hallway when they’re getting up for the day and you’re finally going to bed.

5. Remembering that you have homework.

Spring break isn’t winter break; it’s in the middle of the semester, you have two more months of the year and you have multiple exams and papers waiting when you get back. You should probably get on that.

6. Celebrating not having to pay for laundry.

You probably came home with three suitcases filled to the brim with clothes you haven’t bothered to wash in weeks. There will likely be a day over break entirely devoted to doing laundry, but at least you don’t have to pay for it.

7. Missing college.

As great as home is, there are definitely things about college that you’ll miss while you’re away, from your friends to your room to your independence. When do you go back?

8. Going to your favorite places around town.

You only have a week to explore, but make sure to make time to visit your favorite shops and restaurants in your area.

9. Realizing that break is almost over.

Even if you miss certain things about college, realizing that you have to go back to school and resume normal classes is anything but fun. Returning to communal bathrooms? How about no?

10. Frantically packing.

It’s the last night of break, your train leaves ridiculously early the next morning and you have packed literally nothing. At this point it doesn’t matter if your bags are organized; you’re throwing in everything you have to pack and hoping that it all fits.

Whatever your spring break entails, it’s guaranteed to be a whirlwind of different experiences. Remember to relax and focus on re-energizing yourself for the rest of the semester and don’t forget to spend some time with your family; it’ll probably be a while before you see them again.

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.