by Nancy Canevari

10 Life Lessons to Learn From Children's TV Shows

By Nancy Canevari - Jan 27 2017

Adjusting to college and adulthood can be daunting, even during the second semester; there are plenty of casual reminders that you have exited childhood and become a full-fledged adult who has to make their own doctor’s appointments and buy their own groceries. On days like those, you probably want only to curl up in a ball and become a kid again, without responsibilities like homework and tuition bills. In thinking about childhood, the discussion of children’s television is inevitable, along with all of the nostalgia it brings. In actuality, kids’ TV shows can be fairly applicable to college life, especially in regards to some of the lessons they teach. Read on to discover some of the wisdom your favorite shows from childhood has to offer even now.

1. Sometimes the best things in life happen when you’re away from your parents. (Max and Ruby)

For everyone who’s feeling homesick about leaving their families behind, remember that Max and Ruby seemed to live without their parents and they still had plenty of fun adventures.

2. The information you’re learning in your classes is actually really important. (Cyberchase)

For all you know, you may end up needing to save an intergalactic universe from an evil hacker using basic math skills. Pay attention in class and make sure to study: you never know when you’ll end up using the information.

3. Never stop asking questions. (Curious George)

Curious George taught all of us that great things can happen with natural curiosity and experimentation. Don’t lose that as you go throughout college!

4. Even when life changes, some things will always stay the same. (Sesame Street)

Sesame Street has been around for decades, through numerous global and national events. While certain aspects of the show have changed, it remains largely the same. Remember that even when life changes, there will always be things that you can rely on.

5. You are never too old for stuffed animals. (Kipper)

Kipper had it right: sometimes at the end of the day, all you need is to cuddle with a basket full of stuffed animals. College and adulthood are hard; you’ve earned it.

6. Everything will be OK as long as you have your friends. (Winnie the Pooh)

Whatever comes your way — papers, exams, roommate drama, wind storms knocking down your house — if you have a solid support network, you’re going to be fine.

7. Don’t be afraid to give someone a chance. (Little Bear)

It’s best to get to know someone before making any judgments about them as a person, whether that’s a monkey who shows up in the woods one day or a new classmate or professor.

8. Never give up on your dreams. (Angelina Ballerina)

If a six-year-old mouse in a tutu can achieve her dream of becoming a prima ballerina, you can pass all of your classes and complete your degree. If you want something, go get it!

9. Hold onto your imagination. (Dragon Tales)

Having an active imagination is something to treasure; it can make ordinary activities more enjoyable, and even if it doesn’t make dragons come out of your bedroom wall, it can keep you feeling positive even when school is holding you down.

10. Know your limits and don’t take on more than you can handle. (Thomas the Tank Engine)

Most of the trouble the trains find themselves in happens because they try to prove themselves by doing more than they can handle. Realize that you have limits, and don’t push yourself too much.

We may not be kids anymore, but that doesn’t mean that the lessons children’s television taught us aren’t still applicable. Even in adulthood, keep your favorite childhood TV shows in mind — they may be more of a help than you think!

Lead Image Credit: PBS

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.