Display cellular education classroom 159844
by Nancy Canevari

10 College Freshmen Share Advice They'd Give Their High School Selves

By Nancy Canevari - May 16 2017

With freshman year drawing to a close, many students are reflecting on the year. Many freshmen have had time to think back on their high school experience and consider what they would do differently. We reached out to 10 freshmen to find out what advice they would give their high school selves, and here is what they told us.

1. Don't be so worried about college.

"I know you are really worried about making friends (like really, really worried) but it will be OK. There are people, they are cool and if you sit with them they won't mind." – Isabelle H., Smith College

2. Remember to keep your schedule balanced.

"While extracurriculars are important, don't be extra and take up too many things you can't handle because your life will become a mess." – Sarika M., Northeastern Universty

3. Keep your expectations realistic.

"College can't be exactly how you imagine, so you need to adjust your expectations." – Molly B., Syracuse University

4. Take risks.

"Live in the moment. I often worried about little things like what would happen if I did this or didn't do that. And now looking back at it I wish I just went for it, whether it was talking to a new person, going to an event or auditioning for something. I realize now during college that there was nothing to have been worried about and I feel a bit regretful that I didn't go and do those things." – Petra R., Rutgers University

5. Challenge yourself.

"I wish I told my high school self to challenge myself to take harder classes my first couple years, because in the end I found that I totally would have been capable of taking the harder classes offered. I love to push myself and I learned great note taking skills and how to beat procrastination in these harder classes." – Sophie G., University of South Carolina

6. Stay true to yourself.

"College is a great time to build the identity you wish to be, not to give in to what other people want you to be." – Victoria T., Smith College

7. Stay motivated.

"Don't slack off senior year, no matter how tempting it is. It makes readjusting to school even harder in the fall." – Erik W., University of Vermont

8. Nothing lasts forever.

"High school really isn't forever. In the few months after high school you might be surrounded by completely different people doing completely different things, and in a year you can't even talk about high school on your resume anymore. No matter how high school goes, you have a chance to start over once it's over. So don't take high school for granted; once it's over, you can't go back." – Celeste C., Rutgers University

9. Speak your mind. 

"Don't be afraid to express your viewpoint because you're worried that it's incorrect. I've found that people often agree or find the viewpoint interesting. And people aren't your enemy: if they disagree or don't understand, then still only good things come out of it. And whatever you do do NOT apply to 11 colleges." – Elizabeth R., University of Texas at Austin

10. Know your limits. 

"You don't have to be the best at everything you do and you don't have to do everything." – Jennifer W., Smith College

If you're in high school, remember to keep these pieces of advice in mind as you go through the next few years. Whatever you do, remember to take care of yourself and go at your own pace. Good luck!

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.