by Nancy Canevari

10 Bizarre College Majors

By Nancy Canevari - Jan 15 2017

At this point in the year, most freshmen have at least a very general idea of what they want to major in: STEM, business, communications, etc. The possible areas of study don't stop with traditional fields, however. Several colleges offer majors in subject areas that are equally unusual and unique. Here are just a few of those bizarre college majors offered at schools across the United States.

1. Cannabis Cultivation (Oaksterdam University)

Wikimedia Commons

This California university's goal is to train its students to work in the cannabis industry. The university offers programs in cooking with cannabis, the business of marijuana and the science of cannabis, as well as several other courses of study.

2. Bowling Industry Management and Technology (Vincennes University)

pexels.com

The program leads to an Associate's degree and involves business and accounting classes as well as classes in bowling alley maintenance.

3. Decision Sciences (Indiana University) 

A Doctoral program in the Kelley School of Business, the Decisions Sciences program focuses on the study of how various methods are used to make decisions in business environments and how math is used to solve problems. Courses involve statistics, decision analysis and computer science, among other subject areas.

4. Citrus (Florida Southern College)

pexels.com

Definitely appropriate for Florida, the Citrus program utilizes nearby citrus trees to teach students the science behind growing citrus fruit. Courses include biology, chemistry and horticulture, and also teach students about about the business and maintenance of citrus groves.

5. Poultry Science (Texas A&M University)

pexels.com

This program educates students in the science and business aspects of the poultry industry. Courses involve biology and chemistry classes, but also involve courses in management and corporate protocol. 

6. Turf and Golf Course Management (University of Maryland)

pexels.com

Part of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, this Bachelor of Science program prepares students for a world where golf is increasingly popular, through classes in biology and agricultural science.

7. Family Enterprise (Stetson University)

pexels.com

Designed to educate students who plan on entering their family businesses, this Bachelor of Business Administration program includes classes about business law, professional development and managerial issues in family businesses.

8. Professional Nannying (Sullivan University)

pexels.com

Sullivan University's program trains future nannies in the wide range of skills required of childcare professionals. They also seek to establish safe and economically stable conditions for nannies.

9. Puppetry (University of Connecticut)

unsplash.com

Part of the School of Fine Arts', the puppetry program combines theatre production, puppet design and performance, and art for theatre classes to help students establish successful careers in the world of puppetry.

10. Canadian Studies (Duke University)

pexels.com

The Canadian Studies program educates students in the history, political system and culture of Canada so that they become more aware of our northern neighbors.

If you're still unsure of your major, give one of these a look — they might suit you perfectly.  

Nancy Canevari - Smith College

Nancy is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is a sophomore at Smith College and plans on double majoring in secondary education and English, with a concentration in creative writing. She's originally from New Jersey, a place she views with one part love and one part exasperated disgust. She loves dogs and young adult high fantasy novels a bit too much and spends most of her time drinking tea and yelling about politics. Follow her on Instagram @fearlesslynancelot for some solidly mediocre content.