Display unknown
by Morgan Rowe

5 College Students Share Why They're Voting for Jill Stein

By Morgan Rowe - Nov 04 2016

With the election less than a week away, undecided voters are scrambling for answers. Many don’t want to vote for Clinton or Trump because they don’t want to cast their vote for two popular, yet ultimately unfavorable, candidates. Fortunately for these voters, there are other options who are slowly, but surely, gaining traction in the polls. For some, Libertarian Gary Johnson is the go-to third party candidate. But for others, that choice has to be Green Party's Jill Stein.

Fresh U interviewed five Jill Stein supporters to determine why they are choosing to use their vote for the Green Party.

Matt D.* - Freshman - Temple University

"The two candidates that we’ve been presented with suck. I don’t think that’s something that many people will disagree with. So Jill Stein gets my vote because she represents a resistance to complying with the proposed current system that we’re faced with, and Gary Johnson just doesn’t strike me as having composure. He uses bad words during his speeches and doesn’t seem presidential. For example, he once called Donald Trump a p*ssy. Not something you want to see in your future president."

Thomas S.* - Freshman - University of Wisconsin, Madison

"This presidential election has been awful and depressing. On the one hand, we have a man with no political experience or knowledge who uses racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, anti-intellectualism and so on to get ahead. On the other hand, we have a lying, flip-flopping, war-mongering, Wall Street-loving, environment-destroying sociopath who will do and say anything to gain political power. Bernie’s revolution never had a chance in the Democratic Party. It’s up to me and my fellow 'Berners' to continue it on our own. Thus, I turned to Jill. Not only because of who she wasn’t, but because of who she was. Indeed, the Green Party platform is very similar to Bernie’s, if not even better in some areas. Even if she has no chance of winning the election, the ability to win isn’t the only thing that should matter because this isn’t a game. I could help the Green Party poll at 5 percent and thus get federal funding for future elections and so forth. Saying I shouldn’t vote for Jill because she can’t win is short-sighted and stupid."

Jeremiah J.* - Freshman - Duquesne University

"I hate Trump, and I’m not Hillary’s biggest fan. I don’t want to be forced to pick between two awful candidates. I want to vote for a candidate that I believe can actually do something good for the country. Party lines have always given us candidates that have immense issues, and a vote for Jill is a vote for the possible decimation of these lines."

Ray D.* - Freshman - Gettysburg College (has already cast an absentee ballot)

"I’m a liberal [who] hates Trump. I think Johnson has an extra chromosome and I think Clinton is a snake. Stein’s education plan is pretty cool even though it would probably never work, and she isn’t going to win the election. I also agree with her plans for climate change."

Jared O.* - Freshman - Penn State University

"Of all the candidates on the ballot, I agree the most with Jill Stein. I’m a college student who actually cares about the environment. That kind of describes a lot of people, but many don’t see Jill as a candidate that deserves support, which I really don’t get. You don’t like Trump, you don’t like Hillary, but you’re going to vote for one of them anyway? What? Jill wants to create jobs in the alternative energy market, which kills two birds with one stone. It opens up more available jobs for young people — like me — while at the same time branching the country away from fossil fuels. She also wants to make public college tuition free, and as a student who goes to a public college, this is definitely something that interests me. Her approach is more radical than Hillary’s, and it also sees to wipe out debt, something I, unfortunately, already have."

Clinton and Trump are not the only options on the ballot on November 8, something these students — and many others like them — know all too well. The nature of elections is changing in this country and it’s hopefully a change for the better. Follow these links to read Fresh U's coverage of students supporting Clinton, Trump and Johnson.

Lead Image Credit: Gage Skidmore via Flickr Creative Commons

Editor's note: some names have been changed or modified for privacy.

Morgan Rowe - Temple University

Morgan Rowe is a Freshman Political Science and English major at Temple University. In high school, she was captain of the Speech and Debate Team. She hopes to one day be a lawyer, and her dream dog is a boxer named Butch. When not writing, Morgan enjoys perusing dank memes, binge watching Netflix, and taking her coffee black.