Display dininghall 1 5wncr
by Monica Roselli

8 Ways To Revamp the Dining Hall Food

By Monica Roselli - Mar 04 2016

1. Switch It Up

Instead of following the regular routine of breakfast, lunch and dinner, switch up the pattern and try having breakfast for dinner one night. Many dining halls leave the cereal station open all the way to dinner. A change in routine is always a good way to keep the dining hall food appealing.

giphy

2. Take A Trip Around the World With Food

Just because the dining hall is serving the same type of food everyday doesn’t mean you can’t create your own dish. Depending on how your dining halls are set up, the different areas should have the individual ingredients needed to make an ethnic dish. Remember you can always ask to have just one part of the entire meal the dining hall has created.

giphy

3. Play The Food Lottery

One day during the week, go eat with all of your friends at the same dining hall. Have everyone get something different and bring it back to your table to share with everyone else. You may realize your friends know how to make a great turkey sandwich or that you actually like stir-fry with extra hoisin sauce.

giphy

4. Combine Your Dessert Resources

Most dining halls have cookies and ice cream everyday. Instead of picking one or the other, grab two cookies and scoop some ice cream on one of them. Place the other cookie on top and you have yourself a cookie sandwich for dessert. Other options might be to drizzle chocolate fudge from the ice cream bar on top of a slice of cheesecake. The dessert creations are endless.

giphy

5. Try Another Dining Hall

Instead of going to the dining hall closest to your dorm, walk a little further and eat at another place. Sometimes the best burgers on campus are worth the twenty-minute walk across campus. If you can’t stay long, ask for the carry out option (if available). That way, you can have a change of scenery while eating your favorite meal.

giphy

6. Surprise Yourself

Don’t look at the menus for the day when you walk into the dining hall. Instead, swipe in and walk to one of the stations that change out its meals daily and ask for the main entrée. You’ll get to be surprised and maybe experience a new dish.

giphy

7. Go To The Extremes

Instead of playing it safe with all of your meals, add some flavor to your dishes and drinks. Grab the bottle of hot sauce and spice up your mac and cheese or go the other way and add some extra sweetener to your ice tea. Both extremes will certainly mix up your tastebuds

giphy

8. Combine Your Meals

If you plan your day out right, you can swipe into the dining hall at the end of a meal or the time between meals when the menu is limited. Get something small of the limited menu and take your time eating it. By the time you finish, the food for the next meal should be out and ready for you to enjoy.

giphy

Lead Image: nwc.edu

Monica Roselli - University of Missouri

Monica Roselli is a freshman at the University of Missouri studying broadcast journalism. In high school, she was an editor for her school’s newspaper. In her free time, Monica enjoys watching movies and TV shows, E! Online and anything with chocolate or Nutella. Follow her on Twitter @_mroselli!