Display natural
by Miracle Johnson

10 Versatile, Protective Styles for Naturally Curly Hair

By Miracle Johnson - Apr 03 2017

Let's admit, we do not always wake up when that first alarm goes off. After repeatedly hitting the snooze button, we wake up to realize there are less than 30 minutes to get to class. One of the ways to limit the time spent in the mirror is to have a lasting and low maintenance hairstyle. These hairstyles are ideal for those late mornings.

1. Head Wraps

Head wraps tame bad hair days by creating a simple yet stylish look. The benefits of this style are that wraps can be quickly done in the morning and taken down in the evening. I particularly love how colorful wraps highlight the neutral colors of outfits, so why not buy a variety of wraps? When you wake up in the morning, all you have is find a scarf to match your outfit for the day and wrap away!

2. Flat Twists

Although naturals typically wear flat twists to set their hair at night, you can wear flat twists throughout the day as well. You can be creative with flat twists and create different twist patterns or you can style them with a beanie.

I tend to wear flat twists for one to two weeks in order to achieve a quicker twist style than mini twists. It takes no more than 30 minutes to complete this twisted styleJust as you maintain mini twists, you should moisturize your hair and wear a satin scarf at night. 

3. Braided Space Buns

Space buns serve the purpose of spicing up one's appearance. Braided space buns typically last two weeks before they start getting frizzy. Make sure to wear a satin scarf at night in order to maintain your braids for as long as possible. As seen in the video, extensions can be added to make this style more versatile. You can transition from buns to braids within one week if you'd like. 

4. Crochet Braids 

Crochet braids are ideal for those seeking a quick instillation of box braids, Senegalese twists, Havana twists and many more. Crochet braids will be better than single braids in the long run because the pre-braided hair is reusable. When you take these braids out to wash your own hair, you simply wash the pre-braided hair separately.

Crochet braids are more expensive than mini twists and flat twists because one has to purchase the pre-braided (pre-twisted) hair. You can expect to spend around $50 for crochet braids because each pack of pre-braided hair costs around $6. Depending on the size of your head and the braids purchased, you may need 6-8 packs. Nevertheless, crochet braids are still an affordable hairstyle. You can do this style by yourself instead of making an appointment with a hair technician. When going to a hair technician you can spend around $100 for installation. 

5. Ghana/Stitch Braids

Ghana braids typically last for two weeks, but one may be able to maintain this style for longer by wearing a satin scarf at night. The video below highlights the feed-in technique and the materials used to achieve this style yourself. 

I personally love the pattern developed from stitch braids, however, it is a challenge to achieve the stitch effect yourself. Nevertheless, I believe it is possible for one to master the art of Ghana braids with the feed-in method.

6. Mini Twists

When wearing my naturally curly hair loose, I tend to spend hours in the mirror in an attempt to perfect each curl. Mini twists are my number one protective style because I am able to moisturize and style my hair as I walk out the door. The only dreadful con to this style is that it takes hours to complete. Nevertheless, after a couple of hours, you will have a versatile hairstyle that will last for weeks.

When it comes time to wash your hair, all you have to do is apply conditioner and rinse the product away. There is no need to detangle your hair while wearing Mini Twists. If you have a loose curl pattern, you may experience some unraveling of your twists. If you have a tight curl pattern you may experience your twists beginning to dread. In order to avoid each situation, simply manage how often you wash your hair and how long you keep your mini twists hairstyle.  

7. Cornrow Box Braids

Cornrow box braids are ideal for those seeking long and flawless extensions. I love this style because it keeps my hair out of my face when moving around and the braids are easy to pull up in a bun or ponytail when desired. You simply cornrow the front of your hair and install box braids in the back to achieve this style. If you do not have much braiding experience, I recommend braiding the front of your hair straight back. 

8. Side Cornrow with Marley Twists

This style may take a bit more of braiding technique than installing cornrow box braids. I love the edgy appeal this look achieves. Marley hair costs around $7 at a local Sally Beauty Supply store, however I recommend shopping at local wig shops instead. Local wig shops usually sell hair extensions for lower prices than Sally Beauty Supply. The video below does an amazing job of showing how to achieve the correct pattern for your side cornrows. Once you have the cornrows installed, twisting the rest of your hair should be a breeze. 

Even though there are times when we have to rush to class, we do not have to look like we just got out of bed. If you know you have a busy week ahead of you, plan ahead and install the aforementioned twisted and braided styles over the weekend. These natural hairstyles will keep you looking effortlessly gorgeous throughout the week.

Miracle Johnson - University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Miracle is a freshman Biology, Pre-Med major at The University of North Carolina at Greensboro. When she's not in class, she's at the library. When she's not at the library, she's in the gym. When she's not in the gym, she's stuffing her face in the cafe. For more insight of Miracle's life, follow her on Instagram @Miracle.C.A.Johnson