Display bed
by Michelle Chan

An Open Letter To My Bed

By Michelle Chan - Dec 04 2015

Dear welcoming, beautiful, marvelous Bed,

Hey. How are you?

I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but we’ve drifted over the past few years. The intimacy that we once had isn’t really there anymore… It’s not you. It’s me.

I remember when I was little, I’d have the time of my life, giggling with joy just from jumping up and down on you. And I’d have my mom adorn you in the cutest sheets possible: from Powerpuff Girls to Dora the Explorer and even Pokémon.

And we’ve been through a lot. We’ve been through the younger days when I accidentally peed on you. We’ve been through the icky flu seasons when I’ve snotted a bit on you. We’ve been through the long nights when I’ve cried myself to sleep on you. We’ve been through staying up late together because I was burdened with thoughts and what-if scenarios. We’ve been through power naps. Fights. Guilty-late-night-snackings. Netflix. Studying. It goes on.

For about 15 years, we’ve had a pretty healthy relationship: 9.5 hours with you every night. Even though when I was little, I never wanted to spend much time with you. Instead, I wanted to stay up and play with my toys. But about three years ago, things changed. I started coming back to you late. I became less responsive. I’d just come back and pass out on you.

I just want you to be clear that I wasn’t sleeping on another bed; I would never do that to you. I became super busy, constantly swamped with homework, projects, and tests. And there are just so many hours in a day for me to use. That is why I needed to stay up late and work and then catch a few hours of sleep late at night. I really hope you didn’t mistake my actions for something else.

And now I’m in college, and that routine has stuck. More late nights. And less time with you. What was once 9.5 hours became 6 hours and 5 hours. And on rare occasions, even 3 hours.

I’ll just go ahead and say it. I'm tired and I miss you.

I miss you so much.

I wish I could take back those precious hours I threw away as a child.

But will we ever go back to that? Back to what we once had? I think it’ll be a great many years before that can happen again.

Deep down, I have a feeling that we’ll make this work. We’ll get through this whole mess because I’ll come back for you. I promise. Some day in the far future, it’ll be like it was before (minus the jumping up and down).

And thank you.

I’ve never thanked you before, and it’s about time that I did.

Thank you so much for putting up with me. Thank you for being the comfortable bed that you are to me all these years. Thank you for being there for me even though I never appreciated you the way I should have.

In the meantime, I will cherish every little moment that we have together, and maybe once again don you in adorable bed sheets like before.

Hugs and pillows,

A very worn-out Michelle

Lead image credit: wordpress.com

Michelle Chan - Northeastern University

Michelle Chan is a freshman at Northeastern University majoring in Nursing. She went to a high school that was majority-minority, but now that she's in college, she's finally experiencing what being a minority is like: not all that different, actually. She enjoys spending her free time binge-watching Netflix, reading books by her favorite author Stephen King, and eating dessert. You can find her on Instagram @michelleeebells!