by Michelle Chan

8 Ways to Motivate Yourself to Study

By Michelle Chan - Mar 09 2016

1. Reward yourself.

Allow yourself to nap, have a snack, or watch an episode of your favorite show on Netflix only after you’ve completed your study task, or a big portion of it. This way, you can enjoy yourself without having the bugging reminder that you have to study pounding around in the back of your mind.

levidragon.devianart.com

2. Limit your time spent on social media.

I can’t be the only one to finds myself going on my laptop to work on something, and then three hours have gone by and I'm still on Facebook. Fear not, there’s a solution to this. Google chrome has a wonderful extension app called StayFocusd that restricts the amount of time you spend on the websites of your choice. If it’s your phone that’s distracting you, turn it off or put it on silent.

3. Go to the library.

Being in a quiet surrounding certainly helps with focusing, but seeing other people study encourages one to study as well.

giphy.com

4. Study with friends.

This only works if your friends have the intention of studying as well. Study groups are great for getting a well-rounded understanding of what you’re studying, especially if it’s a difficult subject.

theodysseyonline.com

5. Set concrete goals per study session.

Know what you want to accomplish when you start your study session. When you plan out what you study the prospect of studying becomes less overwhelming. And it’s important that you don’t look at studying as something overwhelming because we tend to scurry away from burdensome responsibilities and that’s when we start to procrastinate our studying. That’s why it’s key to have a study schedule.

teamgantt.com

6. Listen to music.

I personally find listening to music as something that gets me pumped to get work done. It also shuts me out from any other distractions. Some people do find music itself a distraction, so if you’re one of those people I don’t suggest you do this.

floatingindreams.com

7. Get up and exercise.

Yup, you heard me. Get out of that chair and start moving around! Sitting in that chair all day won’t help spark your brain. Hit the gym or jog around the block! Heck, even start break dancing in your own room. Make your start pumping hard and fast and feel the blood coursing through your veins, carrying the much-needed oxygen to your brain! And you’ll be super energized and awake for your study session!

theodysseyonline.com

8. GET REAL with yourself.

Simply put, if you don’t study, you’ll fail. Do you want to fail? No? Then STUDY!

youtube.com

Lead image credit: Pexels

Michelle Chan - Northeastern University

Michelle Chan is a freshman at Northeastern University majoring in Nursing. She went to a high school that was majority-minority, but now that she's in college, she's finally experiencing what being a minority is like: not all that different, actually. She enjoys spending her free time binge-watching Netflix, reading books by her favorite author Stephen King, and eating dessert. You can find her on Instagram @michelleeebells!