Display mariah carey
by Michaela Williams

The Ultimate Holiday Playlist

By Michaela Williams - Dec 16 2015

1. Oh Santa! -Mariah Carey

We all know the classic Mariah Christmas song, but "Oh Santa!" is upbeat and underrated.

2. The Hanukkah Song -Adam Sandler

This doesn't need an explanation as to why it's great. It just is. All four parts are highly recommended.

3. What Christmas Means to Me -Stevie Wonder

This song just basically captures every great traditional physical factor of Christmas from candles to holly and mistletoe.

4. Winter Wonderland -Dean Martin

This Christmas classic combined with the suave vocals of Dean Martin practically lets you close your eyes and see the North Pole form right in front of your eyes.

5. It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

If this song doesn't make you excited about December, I don't know what possible could fix your Grinchiness.

6. Candlelight -Maccabeats

If you appreciate puns and have a basic understanding of Hanukkah, you'll giggle as much as I did.

7. This Christmas -Chris Brown

Between Brown's soulfulness and the lyrics of this song, no matter how you feel about him, you have to admit this song is a solid holiday jam.

8. O Tannenbaum -Nat King Cole

It's a classic. Nat King Cole is a genius. What more do you want out of life? Plus, let's face it "oh how lovely your pine needles are" sounds much better when it's in another language.

9. Silent Night -Boyz II Men

This has to be one of the most beautiful songs in existence and matching that the soul of Boyz II Men, I mean seriously, their voices are the magic of Christmas. Also, enjoy this Fresh Prince throwback.

10. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas -Christina Aguilera

It's one of those songs that appears on every holiday album, but Christina Aguilera adds such a raw, soulful spin to the classic. Even though no one can hit the notes now, we can all act like it's physically possible.

11. The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire) -Nat King Cole & Frank Sinatra

Nat King Cole AND Frank Sinatra? Need I say more?

12. Jingle Bell Rock -Brenda Lee

It's one of the catchiest Christmas songs and I mean what better way to commemorate Mean Girls, am I right?

13. Last Christmas -Wham!

Don't have a special someone this year? Heartbroken? Well then forget Mariah Carey's Christmas list and jam to this cheesy song by Wham!

14. Mistletoe -Colbie Caillat

There's nothing like a feel good Christmas song, man.

15. Hanukkah, O Hanukkah

There is something so catchy about this song that it makes even the most Christian Christmas enthusiast want to participate in the festival of lights.

16. It's Beginning to Look a Lot like Christmas -Michael Buble

Did you really think you were going to get through a holiday music list without seeing Michael Buble on the list?

17. Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree -Brenda Lee

This is the perfect tree decorating song or Christmas cookie baking song, I'm just saying.

18. Shake Up Christmas -Train

It's basically "Don't Stop Believing"'s Christmas cousin.

19. Baby It's Cold Outside -Idina Menzel and Michael Buble

Aside from the fact that The Queen of Broadway and The King of Contemporary Christmas Music come together for this track, this has to be the cutest music video.

20. Happy Kwanzaa -Teddy Pendergrass

Kwanzaa commemorates the African diaspora, and is a holiday all about unity. Even if you do not celebrate the holiday (approximately only 2 million Americans will observe it this December 26 through January 1), December holidays have come to mean a sense of coming together for the greater good.

21. White Christmas -Elvis 

No matter where you live, growing up there was always the desire to walk outside and be able to make snow angels on Christmas Day.

22. Auld Lang Syne -Mariah Carey

As the year comes to a close, and you're just finishing up your first semester of college, this is a wonderful time to reflect on the year previous. And plus, who wouldn't appreciate this dance-able version of Auld Lang Syne?

23. Feliz Navidad -Jose Feliciano

This song just makes me want to dress up as Santa Claus and dance. 

24. Santa Claus is Coming to Town -Bruce Springsteen

This song was your childhood, whether you'll admit it or not. However, there's something about Bruce Springsteen's version that doesn't make it feel quite so childlike. It allows for that nostalgia.

25. Jingle Bells -Frank Sinatra

Is there something about Frank Sinatra's voice that is inherently Christmas or is it just me?

26. So This is Xmas (War is Over) -John Lennon

I feel as though John Lennon decided that the message of "Imagine" needed to continue over Christmas, and so he wrote this song.

27. Have a Holly Jolly Christmas -Michael Buble

Come on, we all knew you would see an ample amount of Michael Buble songs on this list.

28. Santa Baby -Eartha Kitt

While it is nice to earn everything for yourself, let's face it anyone -especially a college student would appreciate any number of things on this list. Although, maybe Santa Baby could pay off those student loans for us. That'd be pretty nice, huh?

29. All I Want for Christmas is You -Mariah Carey

It's the modern day Christmas classic, need I say more?

30. I'll Be Home for Christmas -Elvis Presley

I'm sure we'll all be singing this as we retreat back to our family and friends for the holidays!

31. Christmas Cheer -The Boys

Saving the best (in my opinion) for last, this was my all-time favorite growing up. Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, the message is so important. So often between the bustling of holiday shopping, cramming for exams and the general busyness of the season, we forget the meaning of this time of year: to unite with family, to give, to count our blessings, to be thankful for our ancestors who came before us and allowed us to have what we do.

Have a happy holiday, no matter what you celebrate!

Michaela Williams - Marymount Manhattan College

Michaela Williams is a 17-year-old freshman Theatre Arts and Psychology double major at Marymount Manhattan College. She is always in search of knowledge and the perfect plate of gnocchi. She is a progressive, spiritual being and pollo-pescetarian. Follow her on Twitter @michaelajcw or on Instagram @michaelawilliams!