by Mia Renee Cole

#WhenIWas Raises Awareness About Sexual Harassment Women Face At A Young Age

By Mia Renee Cole - Apr 20 2016

Twitter is a great place to turn to in order to keep up with the news. In Tuesday's Trending Topics on Twitter, an interesting hashtag is being used for a good cause. Ranked #3, below a hashtag promoted by Jaguar and #PrimaryDay,  #WhenIWas is raising awareness of sexual harassment among young women.

The hashtag, followed by an age, represents a sort of #TBT, but in a more sinister way. Laura Bates, the founder of Everyday Sexism, asked young women to tweet about their early experiences of sexual harassment and violence in anticipation for her new book, Girl Up.

Below are a few of the the tweets using #WhenIWas. The tweets tell a story held silent by many women for many years, some having experienced sexual harassment as young as five years old. These women have been told to be quiet, but now they're speaking out. #WhenIWas is not only a great way to educate the public about the severity of sexual harassment, but to also help women empower each other and have a voice through talking about their experiences.

Check out the rest of the tweets here

Lead Image Credit: Twitter

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at!