Display 12002512464 1e03016eb6 o
by Mia Renee Cole

US News and World Report Lists America's Top 10 Colleges

By Mia Renee Cole - Mar 23 2016

It's that time of year again---time for college rankings. US News and Report came out with their 2016 college rankings, so let's take a look at their top ten.

#1 Princeton University

Cory Nadillo via Flickr

Founded in 1746, Princeton University is located in Princeton, NJ. Notable alumni include: First Lady Michelle Obama, Republican Presidential Candidate Ted Cruz and former president James Madison.

#2 Harvard University

Moe Homayounieh via Flickr

Harvard was founded in 1636 and, along with Princeton, is an Ivy League School. Famous Harvard alums include: President Barack Obama, CEO of Facebook Mark Zuckerberg and actor Matt Damon.

#3 Yale University

Chris Reeder via Flickr

Located in New Haven, Connecticut, Yale was founded in 1701. Famous brain surgeon/former presidential candidate Ben Carson, former President George H.W. Bush and actor James Franco are all a part of Yale's alumni.

#4 (tie) Columbia University

Clive Dudley via Flickr

Located in the Big Apple itself, New York City, Columbia University was found in 1754 and ranks Number 4 with US News and Report. Notable alumni include: President Barack Obama and actors Jake Gyllenhaal, Katie Holmes and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

#4 (tie) Stanford University

Geoff Livingston via Flickr

Stanford University was founded 1885 and is located in Stanford, California. Famous graduates of Stanford include: actress Reese Witherspoon, golfer Tiger Woods and Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.

#4 (tie) University of Chicago

Chris Smith via Flickr

Located in the Windy City, the University of Chicago was founded in 1890. "Taxi" actress Marilu Henner, composer Philip Glass and famous murderer Richard Loeb are all notable alums.

#7 Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Fabio Miola via Flickr

Founded in 1861, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, right by Boston. Famous former students include: NASA astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Gregory Chamitoff and Canadian Space Agency astronaut, Robert Thirsk.

#8 Duke University

Will Hanley via Flickr

Located in the Tar Heel State, Duke University was founded in 1838. Former president Richard Nixon and politician Ron Paul are just two of Duke's well-known alums.

#9 University of Pennsylvania

Emil via Flickr

Founded by Benjamin Franklin in 1740, the University of Pennsylvania is located in Philadelphia. Notable alumni include: singer John Legend, Republican Presidential Candidate Donald Trump and actor Elizabeth Banks.

#10 (tie) California Institute of Technology

Luxorium Luxury via Flickr

Located in Pasadena, California, the California Institute of Technology was founded in 1891. Physicist Steven Hawking and astronaut Robert Woodrow Wilson are two if its most famous alums.

#10 (tie) John Hopkins University

danzan via Flickr

John Hopkins University has four campus locations located around Boston. Founded in 1876, it ties with the California Institute of Technology at Number 10. Notable alumni include: former president Woodrow Wilson and poet Gertrude Stein.

Lead Image Credit: Cory Nadillo via Flickr

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at miareneecole.com!