Display unnamed
by Mia Renee Cole

University of North Carolina Will Not Enforce NC's 'Bathroom Law'

By Mia Renee Cole - May 28 2016

Since the passing of House Bill 2 last March in North Carolina, many public universities have been under the close eye of both the public and the government. If they choose to enforce the state's new "bathroom law," they are discriminatory and, if they choose not to, they risk losing millions of dollars in funding. This was the case for the University of North Carolina System, until Friday.

Margaret Spellings, the University System President, said in her affidavit to the state, "I have no intent to exercise my authority to promulgate any guidelines or regulations that require transgender students to use the restrooms consistent with their biological sex." It was further elaborated by the university system's lawyers that the policies regarding transgender students or employees will not change at UNC.

Passed in March, House Bill 2 enforces bathrooms be used, strictly, by the people of the same biological sex, making it illegal for a transgender person to use the bathroom that they identify with. The bill also takes away workplace rights for any person on the basis of sexual orientation. The law went into effect immediately, applying to all public universities, including the UNC system. North Carolina threatened to take away funding from universities who failed to comply with the law. 

A recent ruling in a Virginia high school favoring a transgender student is expected to help influence the federal judges' decision on the five different North Carolina lawsuits pending in the courts, including this one.

Lead Image Credit: Mia Renee Cole

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at!