Display pexels photo 130111 large 1
by Mia Renee Cole

These are the Most Eco-Friendly Colleges in America

By Mia Renee Cole - Sep 08 2016

Some say it's just a fad, but most believe it to be a permanent change in our way of living. Being Eco-friendly, or "going green," is important to many people throughout America, so it's no surprise that many of our colleges are focused on keeping our environment healthy.

The Princeton Review recently released a list of the Top 50 Green Colleges in the U.S. and some may surprise you. These colleges range from Ivy Leagues to small, private schools with a little over 500 students enrolled. Regardless of their size or prestige, they all have one thing in common: their love for planet Earth. These schools are going green, and they're making some of the most significant improvements in our country. 

Appropriately named for the two iconic explorers, Lewis & Clark College tops the list as the most Eco-friendly college in the States. Located in Portland, Oregon, Lewis & Clark is a liberal arts school that empowers its students to "shape the new global century." Among it's other accomplishments, it also ranks thirteen on Princeton Review's Tree-Hugging Vegetarian colleges list.

Green Mountain College — also appropriately named — in Poultney, Vermont ranked number two on the list. The college actually boasts that it's the "First in Sustainability." On their website they explain that being green isn't just a passing fad but, " deeply rooted in our academic program and our campus community." Their curriculum is even constructed around being environmentally friendly — they call it the environmental liberal arts, or ELA for short.

The University of California, Santa Barbara followed Green Mountain, as the third on the list for most Eco-friendly colleges. This isn't surprising considering UC Santa Barbara takes up over 1,000 acres of the California Coast and is considered a "learning and living environment like no other."

Other well-known schools that made up these green-friendly fifty include Cornell University (#6), Columbia University (#25), The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (#31) and Emory University (#37). To see if your school made the list, check it out here.

Lead Image Credit: Markus Spiske via Pexels

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at!