Display yoga cat1
by Mia Renee Cole

The Best Yoga Poses for College Students with No Free Time

By Mia Renee Cole - Jan 19 2016

1. Down Dog

Downward Dog (or Down Dog) is a great way to stretch out your entire body after a long day of classes. It gets your thighs, your calves, your mid back, your arms and your neck. It's a quick and simple way to stretch out when stressed!

2. Bridge Pose

Bridge pose is a fun way to work on back flexibility and leg strength. Different variations of this pose include holding one leg up in the air and then switching legs, or advanced bridge pose which is basically a back bend.

3. Pigeon Pose

I love pigeon pose! This is a great way to stretch out your hips and lower back after carrying around a book bag all day. Plus it works on flexibility!

4. Tree Pose

Tree pose is one of the simplest yoga poses and is a great way to work on balance in your free time. Have it down pat? Try raising your arms above your head and/or closing your eyes.

5. Warrior III

Warrior III is one of my go-to poses when I want to work my entire body. Practice it with each leg and different arm variations and you'll master your core.

6. Child's Pose

Child's pose is everyone's favorite, and there's no secret as to why that is. Relax and breathe deeply in this simple pose.

7. Boat Pose

Boat pose is a fun way to work on your core and balancing skills. Start with your legs as high as you can comfortably have them and hold them out straight, with your arms following in front of you. This guy is kind of advanced, so don't worry too much about having your legs super high. Want an extra workout? Try crunches in boat pose.

8. Plank

A plank isn't just known to people who do yoga: it's a great workout for anyone looking to master their core.

9. Bow Pose

Bow pose is a good pose to stretch out your back after a stressful day. It's not as hard as it looks. I promise!

10. Forward Fold

Forward fold (or forward bend) stretches your calves and legs while working on flexibility at the same time. No worries---you are not required to touch your hands to the ground!

11. Triangle Pose

Triangle pose is one of my favorites. Though it can be challenging to balance at first, it is an effective way to get a full body stretch.

12. Chair Pose

Chair pose, similar to a squat, is a go-to for those that are looking for core and leg strength. You can choose to hold your hands out in front of you, above your or behind you.

13. Down Dog Split

Down dog split feels better than it looks! Starting in down dog, just lift one of your legs in the air for an even greater stretch.

14. Lotus Pose

Lotus pose is a good place to start if you're looking to begin yoga or gain a better posture. Sit with your legs crossed and back straight (yes, make sure it's STRAIGHT) and your hands by your knees. Breathe deeply and forget all about the cramming that you have to do for the week.

15. Legs Up the Wall

If you've never tried this pose, you seriously need to. It's so simple---one could even argue it's not REALLY yoga. It feels great and still gives you a stretch!

Lead Image Credit: Outspoken Health

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at!