Display 18286018768 e3f48dc0e8 o  1
by Mia Renee Cole

The 10 Best Cap and Gown Poses for Graduation

By Mia Renee Cole - May 15 2016

Graduation pictures are meant to capture the accomplishment of finishing school. With so many people graduating and taking pictures, though, it can be challenging to find unique poses that stand out among the crowd. Here are 10 different poses that help capture graduation in a beautiful way.

1. The Profile

Hannah Ramirez Photography

A blank, nude-toned wall or a geometric, colorful wall set against the profile of your figure can help to compliment your appearance and highlight your tassel, cap and gown.

2. Freedom!

Hannah Ramirez Photography

Graduation is a happy time, so make sure to capture that in your poses. Don't just stand rigid, but show your happiness too.

3. Sans-Gown

Hannah Ramirez Photography

Remove the gown and highlight your actual outfit. Simply taking off your gown will stand out amidst all the gowns you'll see in typical photos.

4. Tassel & Profile

Allie Hipps Photography

Highlight your tassel and hat with this unique, profile angle.

5. Happy Tassel

Hannah Ramirez Photography

Every photo sessions needs a faux-laughing picture. Capture this moment while showing off your tassel.

6. Walking

Hannah Ramirez Photography

Have your photographer capture you walking with your gown over your shoulder, off to bigger and better adventures. (Props if you actually take it at your school.)

7. The Over-the-Shoulder

Hannah Ramirez Photography

While you're walking, look over your shoulder, for this fun graduation shot.

8. The Frame

Hannah Ramirez Photography

Incorporate props other than your outfit. Frames can be a lot of fun to work with, especially if you want to show off your cap in the process.

9. The Cap

Hannah Ramirez Photography

Highlight your cap and tassel by taking off your gown and posing to emphasize your head.

10. The Cords

Debbie Ramirez Photography

Not all graduation pictures require that your face is included in them. Show off your cord(s), tassel(s), stole(s) or anything else that shows your accomplishments prior to graduation!

Lead Image Credit: Hannah Ramirez Photography

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at miareneecole.com!