Display gty ap trump sanders clinton as 005 160114 v12x5 12x5 1600
by Mia Renee Cole

The Results of the Iowa Caucus

By Mia Renee Cole - Feb 02 2016

Iowa Caucuses were held last night and, according to American tradition, this is pretty much the event that determines the next presidential ticket, AKA the country's future, AKA the world and workplace we will have to deal with for our adult lives. So how did our candidates do?

Donald Trump (R)

slate.com

Donald Trump received 24.3% of the vote, but he didn't come in first place. In his speech, Trump said, "I love the people of Iowa. We finished second and I am honored."

Hillary Clinton (D)

salon.com

Hillary Clinton, the forerunner in the democratic elections, received 49.9% of votes, putting her in first place. Her win, however, was not by a large margin.

Ted Cruz (R)

abcnews.go.com

Ted Cruz swept through Iowa caucuses and received a whopping 27.7% of votes, putting him in first place among the Republican candidates.

Bernie Sanders (D)

cnbc.com

Bernie fans, no need to be alarmed. Though the senator from Vermont did not win the caucus, he lost by a mere 0.3% putting him at 49.6% of total votes.

Marco Rubio (R)

usatoday.com

Marco Rubio slid into third place with 23.1% of votes and spoke of optimism, stating that he "had no chance" and "need[ed] to wait my time."

Martin O'Malley (D)

tktk.gawker.com

Sorry, O'Malley fans. With Clinton and Sanders pulling through with high numbers, O'Malley had the chance to only score 0.6% of the votes. Will he be a Vice Presidential nominee, though?

Ben Carson (R)

peteens.com

The famous brain surgeon only got 9.3% of the votes, landing him in fourth place. This isn't surprising, though, with his campaign crew kind of falling apart. 

Check out Fresh U's other articles covering the 2016 election, including how to vote in your state's primaries and how to absentee vote

Percentages sourced from elections.ap.org.

Lead Image Credit: ABC News

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at miareneecole.com!