Display mv5bmjixmzy2ntyzof5bml5banbnxkftztcwotq5ndaymg  . v1 sx640 sy720   1
by Mia Renee Cole

How to Cope with Christmas Breakups

By Mia Renee Cole - Dec 16 2015

It's finally Christmas! Amidst the holiday celebrations however, there lingers a feeling of depression and desperation: your recent breakup that's happened since arriving home from college. You imaged the holiday break as a time to relax, have fun and enjoy your time at home, but instead you are bed-bound, watching too many romantic Christmas movies on the Hallmark Channel and eating an abundance of chocolates. How do you deal with a holiday breakup?

I'm no relationships guru myself, but I, just like many of you, have experienced heartbreak and I can confidently say that I have learned how to cope with this. It's not easy and it takes dedication, but if you believe in yourself, you should be able to feel better soon. After all, it is Christmas.

1. Don't think about them...like at all.

iamcupcakeandtea.tumblr.com

What may seem the hardest piece of advice in this article, is the most effective. You will only sink deeper into your thoughts and depression if you continue thinking about your ex. Make this easier by not contacting them, deleting them from ALL of your social media profiles, going to bed earlier (to avoid late-night thinking) and keeping yourself busy, which leads me to my next point.

2. Stay busy.

movienighteverynight.tumblr.com

Keeping yourself--and your mind--busy during a breakup is extremely helpful in lifting your moods and keeping you active. Do what makes you happy: working out, singing, hanging out with friends, channeling your inner Bob Ross--the options are endless.

3. Confide in your friends and family.

allmoviegifs.tumblr.com

Though it may be hard to have your Aunt Peggy ask you about your ex at Christmas dinner, this serves as a good time to let people know. It can be emotional, but emotions are okay--especially around people who care about you. You're often around much of your close family during the holidays so use that to your advantage to get advice and counseling from people you can trust.

4. Avoid cheesy, romantic Christmas movies.

ghostofcheney.tumblr.com

We all know that Christmas was pretty much invented by the Hallmark Channel, but those movies are not for the heavy-hearted. Stay away from romantic films during the beginning of your breakup (like the first month). When you finally decide to watch romance films again, make sure you watch your first one with a group of friends. This way you won't be able to wallow in your emotions.

5. Enjoy all that Christmas money.

hallmarkecards.com

Let's face it: being in a relationship is expensive. The best thing about being single? You suddenly have a lot more money to spend on yourself. Return your ex's Christmas presents, save the money from your grandma and treat yo' self.

6. Make goals for the new year.

notoriousmic.tumblr.com

Even if it does consist of you posting an Instagram picture on January 1st captioned, "New Year, New Me," do it. Make 2016 all about yourself and set personal goals for living that single life. Finding that you often jump from partner to partner? Maybe make a goal to avoid serious relationships for a certain period of time. Truly discover yourself in the new year and realize your potential as a unique, single human being.

Lead Image Credit: MGM Studios

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at miareneecole.com!