Display 18ixn56s5slq8jpg
by Mia Renee Cole

Here's Why You Should be Writing Stuff Down

By Mia Renee Cole - Nov 10 2015

Busier than before, many of us are turning to to-do lists in order to keep up with our daily assignments and schedules. Take a second and think about what platform you use for these lists. Do you even use a platform? Hopefully you attempt to keep up with your daily "to-do's" some way or another, whether it's by phone, computer or sticky note. So, how do you make lists?

There are many different platforms to help us keep up with things, there's really no excuse for us not to. From apps to Apple's calendar to old-fashioned planners, most of us use something in order to remain sane throughout the week. My personal favorite is the old and trusty pen and paper and here's why I enjoy that over electronics.

I can literally post reminders anywhere.

Sticky notes are a God-send and I use them everyday. If I need to print something before class, I write it down and stick it to my computer. If I have a meeting I can't forget, I'll put it on a colorful note and put it in my planner--even my wall calendar is made up entirely of sticky notes. Sticky notes give you the opportunity to color coordinate or use colorful materials in order to better remember things. In fact, it has been proven that color enhances memory and you just can't access colored materials as easily on your phone's calendar.

I can use as many colors as I want.

As mentioned before, using color in your reminders has been proven to enhance memory. Whether it's pens, highlighters or sticky notes, choosing to include colors in your daily reminders will allow you to recognize what's important and differentiate between school and social activities. It makes remembering and checking your to-do's super simple--all you have to do is glance at your reminders without completely reading them over, and this just isn't as easy on a phone or computer.

It prevents you from getting distracted.

When you are writing something down, you are focusing solely on pen and paper. When you are typing reminders into an electronic device, you can easily be distracted by incoming emails, texts, social media or Netflix. Focusing just on writing reminders will, obviously, help you to remember them better.

It enhances your motor and memory skills.

Writing stuff down--especially reminders and notes--will help you out in the future. Since writing (versus typing) activates your Recticular Activating System and various other parts of the brain, you are (unknowingly) practicing the art of memorization. If you choose to write more things down than you type, you may actually be able to remember more as you grow older.

Lead Image Credit: Katy Warner, sun dazed

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at!