Display refe 556b4ff986c22 desk notebook notes 3059
by Mia Renee Cole

From Drab to Fab: Your Dorm Desk

By Mia Renee Cole - Aug 26 2015

Having trouble staying motivated when you hit the books late at night? Trying to avoid your desk at all costs? Dreading having to sit down at your drab workspace to get things done? Not anymore! I’m here today to help you discover a way to keep your workspace shiny and encouraging.

Let’s start by taking a look at my desk.

I’ve set up an area under my lofted bed that acts as a nook to do work so that enjoy it at the same time. I have my record player within arms length and my curtain up which makes the area a (little) bit more private. I have found that this is the best way to get me to my desk on the daily because I feel like I’m sitting at a home-away-from-home. Some of these tips may not be that helpful for you, so I encourage you to find ways to keep your desk motivating and exciting.

Keep it colorful

Mia Renee Cole

The first thing I decided to do was to incorporate as much color as I possibly could into the space. Using a white and gold-based theme, I was able to incorporate bright and exciting colors. It has actually been scientifically proven that bright colors enhance the brain and lift your mood, so fill your workspace with colors that will make you happy!

Keep it exciting

Now, if you have some crazy ADD this may not be the thing for you. I love covering my walls with cute things and keeping my desk area quirky and fun. It works as a great conversation starter (i.e. Pierre, my cat clock) and gets you smiling every time you look at it. Including pictures (like the ones I have strung up) is also nice because it allows you to take a break from your work and reflect on the fun times you’ve had with friends and family.

Keep it organized

Mia Renee Cole

I know this might be a hard one for some of you, but I promise that creating a simple habit will work wonders!! My favorite tip here is the DIY calendar that I made out of a bulletin board and washi tape. This is super cheap and fun to do! Plus I get to incorporate cute sticky notes that add to the colorfulness of my desk. I use this calendar to keep up with my assignments for the week. Each class is assigned a color and, for each day, I write down the homework or reading that is due. I also use this calendar to keep up with social events, meetings, and workouts so that I can visually see how my time will need to be managed.

Keep it lively

Mia Renee Cole

Nothing says “I’m a loving person” like having a plant on your desk, even if it is a cactus. I love my little plant because it adds some character to my work place and it matches my DIY pen mug as well. It creates a nice little corner for me to look at.

Keep it hydrated

Mia Renee Cole

You may be wondering why I added this last tip, but I am a firm believer in water! I try and drink about 8 glasses a day and have experienced many positive outcomes. For example: I have clearer skin, I have an energy boost, and I drink less sugary drinks. Plus, you’re more likely to reach over and grab something to sip on while studying, so why not make it something that will reward both your body and mind? Find ya (or make ya) a cute cup to enjoy your drink out of.

One of the most important things about college is studying so it’s important to find a place that keeps you motivated enough to do it. Why not start in your own dorm room?

Lead Image Credit: Get Refe

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at miareneecole.com!