Display witandwhistle.com 1  1
by Mia Renee Cole

DIY Dorm Decor to Keep Your Room Cozy

By Mia Renee Cole - Nov 22 2015

It's that time of year again when the temperatures plummet and we find ourselves bundling up just to study in our rooms. How can we make our dorms feel cozier in the winter? Here are some simple DIYs for both the crafty and not-so-crafty.

1. Holiday Smelling Plug-Ins.

Make sure your roommate is okay with doing this beforehand, but scents can seriously make your room seem ten times more welcoming and warm! Purchase some of these Christmas tree smelling plug-ins from Glade to make your room smell like a balsam!

2. DIY Tapestry.

buzzfeed.com

Though this project can seem very intimidating, don't worry...it's super easy! I did this for my room, in fact. Just find an old bed sheet (have your mom send you one) and get some sample sized wall paint from Lowes (or search for paint in your student store) and make a make-shift block out of an old cereal box, cutting it into the 3D shape you want. A wall tapestry is easy enough to do and it makes your bare, white walls seem a lot more welcoming and warm. (P.S. Don't want to do a tapestry? A lot of student stores sell temporary "wall paper" that you can stick on your walls. This will eliminate that ugly white cinder block that you've been staring at all semester!)

3. DIY a Rug.

It's no secret that rugs keep your feet warm when you get out of bed, so make sure you have one for the colder months! Don't want to buy one? Make your own!

prettydesigns.com
craftaholicsanonymous.com

4. Use Faux Fur!

motherearthnews.com

Faux fur isn't glam, but it's VERY warm. Get some at Hobby Lobby (it's almost always on sale) and cut it into your desired shape, or just leave it in a rectangle. You can use it either as a rug, or drape it over your (ugly) desk chairs to keep you cozy while studying. (P.S. I actually bought a HUGE cashmere-looking scarf from H&M last week that works well as a blanket so I drape it over my chair when I'm not using it and it looks great!)

5. Have fun with tea lights.

fellowfellow.com

For this project, you'll need some mason jars, mod podge, fabric (or colorful scrapbooking paper) and some electric tea lights. This DIY is super simple and will warm up your space quickly. Don't want to make it? Grab some electric, colorful candles off of Amazon for a similar effect. (I have these.)

6. Use String Lights!

Sparkling lights are seriously the trend right now, so use that to your advantage. You probably have some in your room already. Try some of these cool DIYs to make your room more festive and warm.

curbly.com
currystrumpet.blogspot.com
marthastewart.com
pinterest.com
witandwhistle.com

Lead Image Credit: witandwhistle.com

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at miareneecole.com!