Display 1d4c9fe9fdbbf80391bc8047e95f2703
by Mia Renee Cole

9 Reasons I Love Dressing Up for Class

By Mia Renee Cole - Jan 14 2016

It’s the popular thing to do: show up to class in sweats, a sweatshirt, ponytail and no makeup. I have many friends that almost boast about not looking “cute” for class every day. After the first day of class, pretty much, it looks like most students have just rolled out of bed. And while there's nothing wrong with that, why do I choose to get ready?

1. It Gives Me More Confidence

fiercegifs.tumblr.com

It’s no secret—looking nice is an instant confidence-boost for me. Maybe it’s because I struggled with my appearance for years, but I’ve looked nice for school since my freshman year of high school. Stopping now was almost impossible in my mind. I’m more likely to talk to my classmates, strike up conversations with strangers and just, overall, appear more mature.

2. Professors Respect Me More

ifuckingmissu.tumblr.com

The fact that professors take time to get ready for class, to me, only means that I, too, should be presentable. No, this doesn’t necessarily mean a full face of makeup and picture-perfect hair, but it means showing up in more than just a pair of leggings and my Columbia jacket. Professors appreciate it when their students appear to be more put together. Not only does it mean that I am organized and on top of things, but it also shows that I have respect enough for my teachers to show up on time, prepared and presentable.

3. I’m More Awake

youtube.com

One of the biggest reasons I’ve avoided dressing down for class is the mere fact that I’m afraid I’d be so comfy that I’d fall asleep in class. That’s not acceptable. This doesn’t mean that I find my most uncomfortable pair of jeans and tightest shirt (in fact, I usually DO wear leggings every day while dressing up the outfit at the same time). This means that, spending time actually getting ready with a routine longer than fifteen minutes fully wakes up my brain and allows me to finish my morning dose of caffeine before arriving to class.

4. I’m Prepared for Anything

youtube.com

A huge fear of mine is going to class and, after, finding myself going out to eat with friends or meeting a super cute guy at Starbucks (this has actually happened). Making a point to look nice every day gives me the reassurance that I’m prepared for anything that might happen to me. Whether it’s a cute boy or a job offer, I look the part.

5. People Notice Me

sandandglass.tumblr.com

Okay, so I enjoy being the center of attention. That thought aside, people noticing me means much more than just standing out. It’s been proven that people who look more aesthetically pleasing are precieved to be nicer, more approachable and, in general, liked by more people. Who doesn’t want that? Plus, as mentioned before, when I’m dressed up, I’m more likely to approach people (or respond to them confidently), which can result in great professional and personal relationships or experiences.

6. I Feel More Professional

tumblr.com

If there’s anything that I get a high from, it’s feeling professional. I love looking, acting and being professional. Simply looking “the part” allows me to feel more mature and responsible, which I’m sure feeds onto other people’s perception of me as well. And there’s no better time to feel professional than when in college, either.

7. It's a Conversation Starter

bestgifreaction.tumblr.com

Whenever I wear a cute outfit or accessory I almost always receive compliments, which usually leads to conversation. In fact, most of the people I meet in the first day of classes introduce themselves to me by complimenting my scarf, necklace or outfit (and vice versa). It's a great way to meet friends similar to you and strike up fun conversations with new people.

8. It's a Form of Self Expression

howveryheather.tumblr.com

Dressing up every day says a lot about how you are as a person, especially when you get creative with what you wear. I like people to have impressions of me simply by just looking at my clothes, that's why I don't want to leave my dorm in just sweats and a hoodie. My own style is unique and fun and picking out an outfit for myself is a lot like, for some people, painting a picture or writing a song. 

9. Because I Can

tumblr.com

There's no better reason other than the fact that I CAN and WILL continue to dress up for class. The choice alone is mine, just like it is yours, to wear whatever makes me feel great.

Lead Image Credit: Buena Vista Pictures

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at miareneecole.com!