Display diy lighted letter sign 2
by Mia Renee Cole

9 Dorm Room DIYs to Try Over Break

By Mia Renee Cole - Dec 24 2016

If you're anything like me, you love dorm décor and DIY. With all the extra time over winter break, this is the perfect time to try out different projects to liven up your dorm room for second semester. Here are a few things that I want to try myself.

1. Clip-On Desk Organizer

Brit + Co.

Not only is this cute, but it's also incredibly functional. It's a lot simpler than it looks, too. Check out the tutorial here.

2. Anthropologie-Inspired Pencil Holder

View from the Fridge

Another desk accessory, this is sure to make your workspace super stylish and sophisticated. Find the tutorial here.

3. Hanging Organizer

Perfect for your bathroom necessities, plants or other knick-knacks, this tutorial is both cheap and easy.

4. Paint Chip Dry Erase Calendar

A Little Craft in Your Day

Super cheap and simple, this craft is pretty self-explanatory. Find its tutorial and 19 other paint chip crafts here.

5. Brick Bookends

Her Campus

I made some brick bookends the summer before my freshman year and STILL use them. They only take a few seconds, too! Just buy some bricks (super cheap) and spray paint them the color of your choice. You can incorporate other designs as well.

6. Tapestry

Design Sponge

Also from experience, I can say that this craft is super easy and really adds to your dorm room. I made one exactly like this one but made my triangle block out of an old cereal box, so it only cost me the paint sample — less than $5. Find the full tutorial here.

7. Lighted Letters Sign

Home Heart Craft

This project is probably the most involved on the list, BUT it's quite the challenge for the craft-lover like myself. Plus, it will save you (and me!) a bunch of money. Here's the full tutorial.

8. Confetti Tray

Delineate Your Dwelling

Trays are super classy and this looks super simple. I'd like to use it as a perfume tray or maybe make a larger one as a food tray for when I have friends over.

9. Macrame Hanging Planters

Brit + Co.

This is a great introduction to macrame, whether you use it to hang plants or not. All you really need is an old t-shirt, scissors and a clear bowl of some sort. I made one my freshman year as well and used the bowl to hold fairy lights. It added a nice charm to my dorm room! Find the instructions here.

Regardless of what you make, any new décor is certain to make your dorm room seem more lively and new for the coming semester. Make anything neat for your room? Show us your pictures on Twitter @FreshUOnline.

Lead Image Credit: Home, Heart, Craft

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at!