Display graduation party photo centerpiece diy1
by Mia Renee Cole

9 DIYs to Have the Best Graduation Party

By Mia Renee Cole - May 28 2016

Fun, easy and affordable: three words any college freshman loves to hear. Fortunately, all of these graduation party DIYs can be done by any Average Joe, but they have a look that screams anything but average.

1. Polaroid Photo Booth

TJ Maxx

Capture the memories of your graduation party by literally framing them. Simply find a white poster board and cut out the inside so that it resembles a Polaroid photo. Embellish it in any way that you like, adding a personal touch. You can also make simple props by using popsicle sticks and paper, or use any props you have lying around the house! 

2. Tassel Garland

Inspired by Charm

Grab some tissue paper, gold tape and a string and--voila!--you have yourself some simple garland to hang around the house. Garland is super classy and great to use for special, traditional occasions, like graduation. Follow this tutorial to create the this classy, yet cheap, decoration.

3. Class "Rings"

My Life at Playtime

Be the "punniest" graduate by using Ring Pops as graduation favors at your party. This DIY can be done by literally anybody. Just purchase the candy and play into the graduation theme by creating a small card like the one pictured.

4. Photo Balloon Display

Style Caster

Grab some balloons, string, helium and some of your favorite photos to create this easy, yet unique, display. Just make sure your photos aren't too heavy, or they might sink the balloons!

5. Graduation Card Holder

Nancy's Craft Spot

Include a fun, themed way to receive your graduation cards by making this simple graduation cap card holder. All you'll need is a box (or two) and a spare tassel. 

6. Personalized Letter

Project Wedding

Have a 2-in-1: a guest book and a new piece of decor for your dorm! Simply find a wooden letter at your local craft store, spray paint it a color you like and have guests sign it at your graduation party. This is a great way to remember your friends and family back home without taking up too much floor space in your dorm, plus it's minimal effort!

7. Graduation Advice Tree

Play Party Plan

Instead of doing the boring "memory jar" at your graduation party, why don't you have guests leave you advice for freshman year? Pick up some fake branches (or real ones, for free) and display them in any way you'd like. Then, leave guests with notecards, pens and clothespins so they can pin their advice for you onto your "tree." Not only is it cheap and easy, it's also kinda symbolic.

8. "GRAD" Letters

Tiny Prints

Create a cool centerpiece for your party by using personal photos, Mod Podge and large letters. Follow this tutorial to get the best look.

9. Soda Bar

The Crafted Sparrow

You may be too young to have a *real* bar at your graduation party, but this cool soda bar won't make you regret anything. Grab some Cokes and flavored syrups so guests can personalize their drinks. Bonus points if you use glass Coke bottles and create a more vintage look.

Lead Image Credit: Tiny Prints

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at!