Display leslie knope votes
by Mia Renee Cole

8 Thoughts I Had Voting for the First Time

By Mia Renee Cole - Mar 15 2016

Today was Primary day in the beautiful state of North Carolina and that meant that I had my first opportunity as an American citizen to vote. Something I've looked forward to for years, I feel like this whole past year of informing myself about candidates and going to rallies has lived up to this one day. So, what were my thoughts?

1. I need to be there early in the morning to avoid lines!

crazywisewoman.com

For whatever reason, I've had this ingrained in my head for many years. I even made a hair appointment for 9 AM to ensure that I would wake up early enough to vote.

2. Why did I show up this early? THERE ARE NO LINES.

giphy.com

And I quickly learned that the lines myth--at least in my town--is complete B.S.

3. Wow, no wonder grown-ups don't bother to research everyone on the ballot. This sh*t is exhausting!

reddit.com

The night before I went through North Carolina's mock ballot online and decided which candidates I would vote for. Yes, I want to be politically informed. Yes, it was exhausting and incredibly dull.

4. Hi, can I get a sticker please?

tumblr.com

I'm here for the stickers...

5. No, I don't want to wear a "First Time Voter" sticker. I don't want to look like a loser.

professorsx.tumblr.com

...but I don't want one of THOSE stickers.

6. I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN.

reddit.com

There's something patriotic about having a say in your government.

7. This took no time at all! Why do people make excuses for not voting because of "time"?

reactiongifs.com

Okay, maybe this is because I'm from a small town, but seriously. I was in and out of there in five minutes.

8. Wait...have I done this before?

thats-so-raven.tumblr.com

Despite all of these previous thoughts, it wasn't a thrilling experience. I was happy to do it, but it felt oddly familiar...like I'd done it before.

Lead Image Credit: NBC

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at miareneecole.com!