by Mia Renee Cole

8 Super Simple And Festive DIY Holiday Decor for Your Dorm

By Mia Renee Cole - Nov 16 2016

'Tis the season for hardcore interior decorating. But how do we manage this on a college budget, living in something that resembles a shoe box? No fear — Fresh U is here to help you get into the festive mood without breaking the bank or stressing yourself out. These DIYs are so simple, Buddy the Elf could do them.

1. Coffee Filter Snowflakes

We all know how to make paper snowflakes. These are so simple to make that we've been doing them since elementary school. Using a pack of coffee filters, though, will give your snowflakes an added, softer texture and will be easier to cut. This tutorial gives you some tips and tricks on folding and cutting.

2. Window Clings

This tutorial shows you just how simple it is to make your own window clings. You only need three supplies: puffy paint, wax paper and outlines of the shapes you're trying to imitate. It's literally that simple!

3. Sh*t in Jars

Nothing says chic and class like simply putting things in jars and glasses. Buy some cheap ornaments/trinkets and fill up a small fishbowl, apothecary jar or your favorite oversized wine glass with them. It takes two seconds and can make a huge difference. 

4. Door Decorations

Be the most dazzling dorm on your hall and decorate your door. You can go all-out and make it look like a snowman, or you can stay on the simple route and just use some ribbon/paper/fabric to make it look like a present. I choose the latter.

5. Ornament Garland

I made one of these last year and it took me maybe five minutes. This is one of those projects that looks like it's super fancy and took forever to do, when it's really so so simple. Watch Bethany Mota's video tutorial here.

6. Literally Just Hang Up Stockings

Buy some cute cheap stockings at Target, or get some plain ones and decorate them like I did in my Girl Scout days with puffy glue and glitter glue. This way you and your roommate can have personalized stockings to put each other's presents in. The plus? It takes no time and can be a bonding experience. If you don't want to craft, then get some stockings of your choice and just hang 'em up!

7. Hang Ornaments in Your Window

Yes, it's as simple as it sounds. And it's crazy festive. Plus, everyone who walks past your window will notice it and love it. 

8. Banners

Use colored construction/scrapbooking paper and cut out a phrase or shape that reflects the holiday season for you. Poke some holes through the top of the letters and string some yarn, string, twine, ribbon, etc. through. Hang it up as you please! 

All of these DIY projects take next-to-no effort to complete. In just a few minutes, you can have the most festive dorm on your hall! Will you go all-out? Do you plan on decorating? Show us your room on Twitter @FreshUOnline!

Lead Image Credit: Bethany Mota via YouTube

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at!