Display o amy poehler parks and recreation facebook
by Mia Renee Cole

5 Ways to Make Your LinkedIn Profile Shine

By Mia Renee Cole - Dec 30 2015

1. Take an attractive, professional photo.

Looks aren't everything, but you want your LinkedIn profile picture to look good. Have your friend snap a picture of you dressed in your best with a blank background. It's never a good idea to have a photo of you from your last outing to Frat Court.

2. Have a catchy headline.

On LinkedIn, like most social media, you are able to have a headline (a very short bio). Make this catchy so that it attracts attention. Currently working at your school's library? Instead of putting "Library Employee" try something like "Library Circulation Desk Employee." This way, people looking at your profile know more specifically what you do (and are capable of doing) and are more likely to click on your profile to read more.

3. Update your experience frequently.

Your "experience" on LinkedIn is a lot like a resumé (in fact, LinkedIn is a great source to begin building a resumé). Make sure to update this with each job, internship, promotion or volunteer opportunity you participate in. 

4. Spare no details!

Unlike a resumé, your profile isn't limited to just one or two pages of sources. You can write as much down about your experience as you feel necessary. In fact, the more details the better. Just make sure to have concise details and get to the point. Include details in your summary and under each of your experiences.

5. Don't forget to post updates!

Updates--AKA statuses--are a great source to use on LinkedIn that a lot of people forget exist. Although it's probably not the best idea to post every time you make a grilled cheese by yourself, it will prove to be extremely useful when you accomplish something significant that you want to share. Help conduct a canned food drive? Talk about the results! Have to make a flyer for an event? Post a picture of the flyer so people can see your artistic abilities! 

Even though we just finished our first semester of college, it's never too early to start laying the groundwork for the future. 

Lead Image Credit: NBC

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at!