Display 00christmas vacation christmas eve dinner
by Mia Renee Cole

15 Things Your Family Will Likely Say/Ask Over Thanksgiving Dinner

By Mia Renee Cole - Nov 22 2016

If your family is anything like mine, they love you soooo much that they want to know every creeping detail about your life. Take it from a college sophomore: this gets even worse once you go off to school. Suddenly, they don't have the same access to you that they once had when you were younger and the fact that you're only around every blue moon doesn't help either. They want to know everything, and sometimes this curiosity can come across as a little intrusive or nosy. And guess what? This never stops - in fact, I've heard it only gets worse as you get older.

Now that I have you all excited for your first Thanksgiving back home since going off to school, here are 15 things that your family will most likely say or ask you while passing around the cranberry sauce. Are you shuddering yet? Good - I'm helping prepare you.

1. "Have you met *anyone* yet?"

Of course by "anyone," it's an implied romantic interest. No, Grandma, I'm not at school for my MRS degree.

2. "What's your major?"

Unless you're pre-med or pre-law or pre-something, the response to this question is usually always answered with slowly nodding heads, wide eyes of fake understanding and sympathetic "oh"s from around the table. 

3. "You should be getting more exercise."

We all know this is just saying, "oh, it looks like you've gained weight." And I hope you're super concerned about it as I eat three plates of turkey.

4. "Why aren't you getting enough sleep? You should be taking care of yourself and at least getting eight hours of sleep a night!"

I still don't understand how any sensible adult who has at least had the college experience can begin to tell me that I should be getting eight hours of sleep a night. Trust me, I know. But you can't scold me for not getting enough sleep AND then tell me that I also need to improve my grades - that's a contradiction in itself.

5. "Are you partying? You're not doing drugs, right?"

There's literally no easy way to answer this other than a quick "no" followed by shoveling mashed potatoes in your mouth.

6. "You should be working more."

Please explain to me how you expect me to make good grades, get enough sleep, have a decent social life and work more hours than I already do. Please - give me the secret to succeed in this.

7. "When I was your age..."

8. "What do you plan to do with your life?"

Good question. Do you have the answer?

9. "Have you talked to your ex from high school?"

Someone always brings up your ex - why do they always bring up your ex? That was in the PAST. This is NOW. I don't want to talk about my exes!

10. "Do you have anything lined up for this summer?"

Oh, do you mean internships or anything more impressive than working the cashier line at the grocery store? The answer is no - expect to be disappointed.

11. "How are your grades?"

Just like my ex - and really all of these topics - I don't want to talk about it.

12. "So-and-so was concerned about this post you made on Facebook..."

I really appreciate you policing my Facebook, but I promise I'll survive without it. Chances are, I really do think before I post, or you're just overreacting.

13. "Oh, you'll change your mind when you're older."

Or when they say anything to devalue my opinions and beliefs that I hold now. In fact, last year, I had a family member tell me that I would most definitely change my mind about wanting kids in the future, I almost cried at dinner, and then I wrote a blog about it.

14. "When you were little, you wanted to be a doctor. What happened to that dream?"

I was young, I was foolish. I knew nothing about the world.

15. "Who did you vote for in the election?"

Honestly, if someone asks me this at dinner this year, I will get up and leave.

Thanksgiving can be a great time to catch up with family, but sometimes it can also be stressful. Try to make the best of it, even though you'll likely be countered with questions that you don't want to answer. Just grin and bear it. You may find that the best advice for this would come from your own parents.

Lead Image Credit: Warner Bros.

Editors Note: I would like to thank all of the Fresh U writers for helping me with the points in this article! If you'd like to write for Fresh U, check out the application!

Mia Renee Cole - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Mia Renee is currently the Senior Editor with Fresh U and a student at UNC Chapel Hill, where she is studying Spanish and French. In her free time she enjoys knitting, photography and drinking hot tea while writing on her personal blog. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @miareneecole or her blog at!